Does overheating damage gpu? And if it does, how to detect the damage on the gpu... P\S: this is for laptop

Zack Jack

Estimable
Dec 3, 2014
My laptop performance suddenly decrease... I have no idea whether the gpu was damaged or something else.. I play shadow of mordor(SOM) on high setting and get average 45fps.. After 2 month, the fps suddently drop to 17fps average on same setting... Someone please help me... I'm totally lost right now..

APassingMe

Estimable
Aug 25, 2014
Yes overheating will damage any silicon component... but you probably have an exhaust port clogged up, check it. You also might have malware, so that's something else to look into but it's probably the exhaust so I would check that first.

dwatterworth

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Constant very high temperatures can definitely damage every component of a computer, especially in a laptop where things are sandwiched together paired up with often inadequate cooling systems. Generally overheating damage over time will show graphic artifacts, programs will crash etc, not just a decrease in FPS.

Things to check:

Your GPU temperature, CPU temperature

Check for updated drivers for both your platform (chipset) and GPU.

Does the ventilation system really seem to be working hard/ high fan speeds?

Are any intake / exhaust ports of the cooling system blocked at all or possibly clogged with dust on the interior?

Zack Jack

Estimable
Dec 3, 2014

Zack Jack

Estimable
Dec 3, 2014
Thanks to both of u Apassingme and dwatterworth... After i update my gpu.. My laptop work perfectly... Than i check the exhaust part and find a pile of dust.. After clean it up... My gpu temperature drops a lot and my laptop work fine... Thanks a lot dude... It was awesome that my laptop can still alive.. I thought i need a new one... Btw, thanks..