Does Power Jack of the laptop connected to motherboard?

Hash_App

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
All - I am not able to charge my Lenovo Z570 model laptop battery through the AC adapter. I changed the charger. But it did not work. However, the laptop and battery are working fine. I charged the battery with another system and placed it back in this system. Everything is working fine.
So I think the power jack of the system is broken. My question is, do I need to change only the power jack or both power jack and the motherboard? I am not sure if they are interrelated. The technician I talked is insisting me to change the motherboard and it is costing me $300. Please advice.

cklaubur

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
It depends on the internals of the laptop. Some laptops are made with the power jack soldered to the motherboard, and some are made with the jack on its own harness that plugs into the motherboard.

It's hard to be sure without actually opening the laptop. I'd suggest looking around for replacement motherboards that are made for your specific laptop, and seeing if the power jack is attached to it or on a separate harness.

Casey

Hash_App

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014

Thank you. The technician said the same-the power jack is soldered to motherboard. I needed a second opinion. Thanks again.

Hash_App

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014

Is this the standard design across all the systems? My system model is Lenovo Ideapad z570 - 7i series.

Hash_App

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014

No. It does not work only with adpater. The new adapter is not same. I got it from BestBuy which is having multiple pins. It works only with charged battery.

Hash_App

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
You have to decide what you are going to do. It's not easy but you have to think about it. Your laptop will not function with the adapter. With the battery it's alright. They said that you need to change the motherboard, because they will not replace the power jack if this is the problem. But right now, without having the laptop in my hand, I can't be sure if the problem is with the jack or something on the motherboard. Sorry for my evasive answer.

Hash_App

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
I spoke to them again and they are saying that the dc port to the motherboard is shorted and entire motherboard needs ti be replaced...the system is working without any glitches. So I don't know how will the system work fine with a short in the motherboard?

cklaubur

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
It seems to me like if the board was shorted, especially on a high-current circuit like the power circuit, I'd think the laptop wouldn't power on. Are they replacing it under warranty or wanting to charge you for it?

Casey

If they know what they are talking about, you could have a short on a component in the circuit for the adapter, and with the battery, the laptop is working fine. That would be the reason why you can't charge the battery with the adapter. Or some component is open, the same result. They will not replace the component for some reason, so they want to replace the motherboard, it's easier and faster for them to do that.