Question Does Replacing my ssd void my warranty

ELVEVERX

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Hi, I have a relatively new laptop which is having some major CPU issues. Like windows explorer keeps crashing.

I would like to get it fixed by the manufacturer because I mean I paid like 2 grand and it can't even use windows explorer and that's crazy, the only problem I am having is replaced the SSd it came with (which was a ludicrisly small 256gb one) with a 1tb one and I am worried they will say since I did that it must be my fault. Is this going to be a problem?

also its a Dell if that helps

Greg Chalik

Great
Nov 28, 2019
Doing any physical work/changes on the laptop yourself or taking it to a tech would void your warranty. Talk to the manufacturer.
Does this mean any upgrades must be carried out by Dell approved service agent?! Surely most laptop users are competent to replace an SSD? With proper instructional?

Oh many people can do the work themselves. And many can't. :)

That said, I have seen the warranty wording change a lot over the years with companies and many if not most have made it really easy to void your warranty. This is why I always suggest checking that before you do any physical work or changes to a device. Sometimes even software major changes can void a warranty. Not so much on laptops (yet), but definitely on tablets and smartphones.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Laptop Tech Support 2
eKKoEZ Laptop Tech Support 1
3 Laptop Tech Support 5
A Laptop Tech Support 1
len-flex-3 Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 3
J Laptop Tech Support 2
MichaelJ123 Laptop Tech Support 1
hpramos Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 0
Scar244 Laptop Tech Support 1