Solved! Does the Surface Book 2 only support the official Microsoft Surface Dock? Is there no way to get another USB C dock to work?

thedonquixotic

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I purchased [this Acer USB-C dock]. It does not provide charge to the computer, data, or display to external monitors. My friend said that sometimes computers and/or docks are locked to only work with their brand. The Acer promises "best compatibility with Acer laptops" but nothing else seems to indicate an issue. Has Microsoft locked the Surface Book to only charge with their dock? Are there any alternative docks that the surface book works with?

I use a multi monitor setup at both work and home. I am not going to buy a 130 dollar dock twice. That's just insane! Does anyone have any suggestions?

thedonquixotic

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

The reason for not buying the MS dock is because it's expensive. And buying it, I would have to buy two because I would need one for work, and one for home. Because the point of a dock is that it stays in one place, with all the wires hooked up, and you just plug in a single cord and get all your connections, and then unplug when you leave.

When I read "buy it twice" I thought you meant that it would be cheap quality and you'd have to replace it. Could not tell you if another dock will work to charge it, I know those USB ones work for data/video although they have issues with non-1080 displays. We used some lower quality 1050 displays and there was distortion. We use separate power connections for the MS Surface with the USB3 docks or use the MS docks.

At the end, the right thing done the first time is often the cheapest and least time wasting.

thedonquixotic

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

I'm inclined to agree. It seems that the fastest way to get stuff done is just do it the right way. I wish it wasn't so pricey! but I'm getting older and closer to death so probably shouldn't waste any more time than I have to haha