[DONE] Sony Does Not Deny PSP2 Rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.

_horse

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Wouldn't selling PSP2 games on the Memory Stick Duo platform make it that much easier for people to just go buy a large card and put a bunch of the games on them instead of buying them?

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
iPhone an iTouch are not gaming platforms. People that play PSP games are not going to trade down to iGadget to play 2D thi-color games.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]Trialsking[/nom]well I will not bother to get a P2P2. No x16 AA and AF, no care![/citation]
It is a portable game?! what portable gaming device has better graphics exactly?

I said this yesterday and I say it again…Why all the hate for PSP? I love it, just not the movies as they are a rip off.

If PSP games were sold on memory sticks, trading, swapping, downloading, pirating would be SOOO easy… I’m all for it!

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Why not use mini-BDs? They're 8cm and they can hold 7.5GB single layered.

I wonder if they'll have BC? Might be able to sell a peripheral that would allow one to transfer PSP1 games.

my_name_is_earl

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I played the PS1,2,PSP and it doesn't matter if it has analog stick. Stop B****ing about it. I sold my psp even though I really like it. Problem is it doesn't has that much support from developer. It is such a powerhouse for a portable gaming system. I'll see if this time they have more support b4 I jump in.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]coopchennick[/nom]umm im pretty sure trialsking was joking...I laughed[/citation]

Half joking half serious. To me portable games are joke, but I am old so don't listen to me.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I'm going to make a prediction here.

Since the PSP is based off of the PS2 hardware, and slightly less powerful. I'd guess the PSP2 will have a cell processor that's lower clocked, and has fewer SPEs (4?). 480p screen (854x480?).

As I previously stated, Mini-BD would be a great portable format, 7.5GB single layered (verus the 4.7GB of a full sized DVD).

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]_horse[/nom]Wouldn't selling PSP2 games on the Memory Stick Duo platform make it that much easier for people to just go buy a large card and put a bunch of the games on them instead of buying them?[/citation]
Then again, if people weren't really buying your disc-based games in the first place, you're losing either way. At least with digital distribution, you're going to be minimizing the amount of investment to publish a game, hence making the losses less painful on the times they do happen. If memory serves, the PSP, during the UMD-only era, had an utterly abysmal attach rate, which has improved (albeit not enough to get the rate comparable to the DS) since they switched to MemoryStick games.

And besides, I believe the attach rate STILL sucks, and perhaps that particular division of Sony is smart enough to realize that the PSP
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Why not use mini-BDs? They're 8cm and they can hold 7.5GB single layered.I wonder if they'll have BC? Might be able to sell a peripheral that would allow one to transfer PSP1 games.[/citation]
The problem with that is that, if memory serves, the height of the PSP is only a little over 7cm. 8cm may be notably smaller than the full-size 12cm discs, but they are really too bulky for a "portable" machine, where the largest format used was the 6.3cm UMD, and then even smaller for Game Boy cartridges, and down to 3.8 cm for DS cartridges.

Plus, of course, it's quite arguable that non-solid-state data storage serves really little point for portable machines, given that they are infamous for sucking down batter power to spin up the disc, (which also means higher latency to read data, and of course, the format has lower transfer rates) as well as run a laser to read them. They also require moving parts, (which are prone to failure, especially in something that even just gets regularly held and carried around) and altogether are more expensive to make.

Basically, the only argument optical media has is that it's cheap to produce; in home systems, this makes tons of sense, but for portable systems, once you add in something to make them less-than-not-idea for frequent transport, their costs go up, and given the rediculously low price of solid-state non-volatile memory these days, one can readily get plenty enough space from solid-state chips that don't run too high in price, especially, again, once you compare them to the optical media that has to be encased or provided similar protection from wear and damage.

[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]I'd guess the PSP2 will have a cell processor that's lower clocked, and has fewer SPEs (4?). 480p screen (854x480?).[/citation]
At such a small size, 854x480 might be impractical, to be honest. And there is zero chance of them actually using an electricity-guzzling Cell, unless the "portable" in "PSP" means that you can carry it in your pocket when it's not plugged in.

I should note that the only practical reason for the Cell, which is horrible at handling the instruction-intensive FP64 used in gaming, even has a place in the PS3 is because it happened to be perfect for decoding high-definition media streams, (i.e, Blu-Ray) which are very instruction-light (data intensive) and done in FP32. Basically, as a chip for gaming, a Cell is worse than most contemporary PC CPUs, including ones that are cheaper and consume less power. It's strength lies as a media processor, which is what the SPEs are good at.

Since the PSP2 most certainly won't have a high-definition screen, it won't be playing high-definition video, so it most certainly won't need that sort of media-processing power that the Cell would provide. What many people miss is that the Cell isn't exactly a "God chip" that produces phenomenal amounts of power for whatever has it; it's a CPU with its own design strengths and weaknesses like any other. It has its purposes; I imagine more and more home media devices will pack it or similar chips, especially as new fabrication processes give it die shrinks and bring the price down; 8-10 years later, the 22nm verion will likely run well under $10US, and hence could pop up in almost any half-decent Blu-Ray player, offering cheap players that run smoothly, and perhaps can even afford some quality filters. However, portable electronics is not one of the places for the Cell.

As a last note, if backwards compatability is desired, it would most certainly be best to keep a similar CPU architecture, so it's incredilby likely that Sony will stick with something on the same MIPS architecture that was used by the original PSP. Of course, to be honest, it won't need all that much more CPU power, since game consoles really don't rely too heavily on it. (in fact, I'd not be surprised that with perhaps 90% of Xbox 360 and PS3 games, they don't even use more CPU power than even the Wii can provide) Rather, graphics power is what is heavily needed, and I imagine the PSP2 would likely have a much-advanced graphics subsystem; the first PSP's GPU had, as I judged, to be 2 ROPs, 4 TMUs, and a single T&L unit, making it comparable to a GeForce 256, or GeForce 2MX/4MX.

Likely, some more T&L power will be added, along with more texturing power, and likely some pixel shading capability. Of course, the main limiting factor will likely be the PSP2's screen resolution; you don't exactly need a terribly powerful GPU for even getting 60fps at low resolutions.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]iPhone an iTouch are not gaming platforms. People that play PSP games are not going to trade down to iGadget to play 2D thi-color games.[/citation]

i agree. i've actually tried alot of the EA iphone games, and it just doesn't work. the experience is not enjoyable.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Trialsking[/nom]well I will not bother to get a P2P2. No x16 AA and AF, no care![/citation]

Most PC graphics cards don't support above 16xAA, let alone are able to run games with it. Idiotic post. How can you expect anything more then 2xAA from a portable game?

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]doomsdaydave11[/nom]Most PC graphics cards don't support above 16xAA, let alone are able to run games with it. Idiotic post. How can you expect anything more then 2xAA from a portable game?[/citation]
For one, I'm fairly positive that their comment, at least at face value, was completely facetious, though they were implying a comment as toward the overall graphical level of handhelds.

However, having AA on a handheld could make sense; the tiny screen limits the practical, visible resolution you can see, which likewise means that there's an upper limit in terms of just how much texturing, polygons, and shaders you can use before you really can't tell the difference. In such cases if you wind up with more processing power than is necessary for that, you may as well spend it somewhere to improve your quality, and in that case, using AA and AF would be one such option.

This is thusly why the Game Cube and Wii both use 4x Anisotropic filtering; in most cases with their resolutions, they really don't have much use for higher-resolution textures, as the majority of the time you wouldn't be able to see the extra texture resolution unless you were running at a high-definition resolution. However, you CAN tell the difference of whether you're using AF or not. The Wii likely would've had anti-aliasing as well or in lieu of AF, were it not for the fact that it was limited to a hard-wired 1MB frame buffer, which is exactly 11.5KB over what was necessary to fit a 720x480x24bpp frame.

nightelite

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Wait, people actually use PSP for games?? I thought it only sold because of movie playback. Go figure.. Sony lost tons of money on the PSP, why repeat that mistake? Blu-ray will carry Sony through the next years, not anything like this.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
If they have the same strategy they had with the PS3 it ain't gonna make it. Kids with free time are the target market since parents need something to keep them occupied while they are out doing whatever and take their kid with them. So it has to be cheap, in the range of the nintendo DS, and it needs games that people want to play, and it needs to have a low development cost to make those games. We'll see if it goes anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.