double ^ bug : How to remove what might be Bugbear virus ? (Or any other idea)

Phoenixton

Estimable
Jun 3, 2015
Hey guys !

Sorry to bother but I've realized I might have a virus on my computer :

Whenever I try to use the ^ sign on a letter (in French, it's quite common, like this ê), the computer displays instead :

^^

right away.

Google is telling me it might be a virus, the BugBear one, the problem is :

I have used malwarebytes, I have installed Bullgard and used it, tried CCleaner, I even used the mc coffee 'solution' provided here : http://home.mcafee.com/virusinfo/SpecialVirusRemovalTool.aspx?viruskey=bugbear

and NOTHING worked.

So here I am, kind of stuck, not knowing what I should do. Is it a dangerous stuff ? I'm kind of new to this. Is it possible to remove it ? If yes, how ?

Note that I do not know for sure if it is the BugBear virus, but I did check that my keyboard wasn't broken or anything. The same happens with another keyboard.

Please tell me if you need any other detail. I realize the question has already been asked, but the topics I found about it didn't help me.

Thanks a lot,

Phoenixton

Estimable
Jun 3, 2015
Alabalcho --> First of all, thanks for your quick answer. My windows is in French, my keyboard in AZERTY (the common one in France), and I'm using Windows 10. It does happen everywhere with the exception (and I'm not certain it's relevant) of my session password's input form.

To be honest, and to answer Someone Somewhere, I don't think I'm making a mistake. It might not be a virus but I still know that my keyboard was handling the ^ the right way a week ago. I don't think my keyboard is set to the wrong layout as everything else is working perfectly.

As for the virus, as said before, I don't know if it's believable to catch an old virus, I'm no expert, but I still know there is a problem right now.

Thanks already for your quick answers, and hoping to hear more of you !

It's been a (very) long time since I troubleshooted Logiciel, and never on modern Windows, so this could be as well a quirk of Windows 10. I do remember having troubles with AZERTY layout, and I often installed US layout as second one to use when servicing the client' computer.

With '^' being a "dead" key - try pressing once the key, then <space>. I have just tried that on my (English-language with added French keyboard) Windows 10, and it works.
The same should apply to other funny chars like colon : and apostrophe '

Phoenixton

Estimable
Jun 3, 2015

I'm sorry but I don't really get it. When I press '^', it immediatly prints a '^^' on the screen, I don't know what the <space> can do about that. On a side note, if it's a virus, I find it odd that only this key is malfunctionning though. colon and apostrophe work great, only this one (as far as I know) seems to have problems, so I might very well be wrong indeed.

Do you have another idea ?

Thanks again !

That's interesting... If I press "^", it does not do anything until I press another key (I suppose it is expecting one of vowels to put the diacritic).

Can you try adding US keyboard (from "Language" Control Panel applet), making it default, delete and re-add French keyboard.

Edit: Could it be that your keyboard is faulty? Try with onscreen keyboard, or with another keyboard.

Phoenixton

Estimable
Jun 3, 2015

Yup, your way is the correct way of working of the '^' key. I did what you suggested, and even re started my computer, and it didn't do anything.

As for your edit, what I get is weird : I'm launching onscreen keyboard, and '^' and ' ¨ ' aren't working, but they aren't displaying either the double '^' or double ' ¨¨ '. They wait when I click for a vowel, but then it just displays the vowel without the sign. The rest of the symbols (& for example) is working just fine. Does that help you ?

Thanks for your help !