Doubt on new Laptop

JefersonEuclides

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
I decided to buy a new laptop this month, last time I bought one was 6 years ago, since then I've only been working with computers and building gaming pcs.
Now, looking for a new laptop I noticed that the only processor available is the 5th generation of Intel, Skylake (at least here where I live). The problem is that this is a new generation, the best I5 available is the 5200U, 2.2 to 2.7ghz. And that concerns me, in the beginning I thought it was because of the new generation, but when I looked for one from the 4the generation, I could only find processors with similar specifications, they'd never get to at least 3.0Ghz.
Now my doubt: is this a problem of my region or is it a normal configuration for casual laptops? I do not intend to play high end games on it, but at least one or another. But putting games aside, is this clock (2.2 to 2.7) good enough for a 2016 laptop?

factory100023

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015

I think 5th gen is broad well... correct me if I'm mistaken.

Clock speed is generally low on laptops because it saves power, a laptop with 4 threads and 2.2ghz is good, it will turbo boost up to 2.7 ghz once you use performance demanding tasks but overall laptops use low clock speed processors to minimize heat output and power consumption.

Intel "U" model CPUs are ultra low voltage CPUs which means they consume less power than other types of CPUs. But that means they have lower clock speeds as well. Intel used to sell "M" model CPUs like the i5-4200m which used more power than "U" model CPUs, but had higher clock speeds; some capable of going above 3.0GHz. However, I believe beginning with the 5th generation Broadwell CPUs Intel has stopped producing "M" model CPUs because the market trend has been heading towards laptops that are lighter, but also have good battery life.

There is the 5th gen i5-5350H that can reach up to 3.5GHz and has the more powerful Intel Iris Pro 6200 graphics core (about as powerful as a nVidia 940m), but it is extremely rare to find it in a laptop. Intel sells that CPU for $289 in lots of 100 or 1,000. It is probably most likely found in Intel's NUC kits; basically a small bare bones chassis that you must add you own RAM and SSD or HDD and can be mounted behind some monitors that have VESA holes.

Otherwise, only the Core i7 "U" and other models can break 3.0GHz. But Core i5 CPUs are fine for most people to do anything. If you know you are doing something that is CPU intensive like video encoding / editing, then a quad core CPU would be better, but more expensive.

There are minor improvements to performance going from generation to generation. CPU performance increase from 4th gen to 5th gen is about 5% on average which means a 5th gen Core i5 CPU running at 2.0GHz would generally be equal to a 4th gen Core i5 CPU running at 2.1GHz. The biggest improvement have been in integrated graphics. The 5th gen Intel HD 5500 is around 15% - 20% more powerful than the 4th generation Intel HD 4400.

JefersonEuclides

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

That's what I thought... :/

JefersonEuclides

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

Thank you for all the details.
So, basically, for a laptop, it's a good clock speed?

Yes.

Some laptop owners install a SSD to improve the responsiveness of a laptop since they have much faster read / write speeds compared to a standard HDD. That makes Windows boot / shutdown faster and allows for programs to load / close faster.