Downloading model in SketchUp, SketchUp becomes really slow

Luftanasa

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Hi, So Im very new to SketchUp. Every time I download a model from their 3D Warehouse, SketchUp becomes really slow. Is there anything I can do to keep things running smooth? Is there any features I should turn off? Or could it be my setup? I mostly use my computer for gaming.

Currently I have 16GB DDR4 Ram, a gtx 1060 at 6GB, and an I5 6600k at 3.5GHz quad core.

Solution
Open Task Manager on your computer.

Watch what is happening for awhile then move the window aside.

Open Sketchup in another window but arrange that you can still see or check Task Manager.

Then, at last, download a model and continue watching.

The objective is to identify some process, service, or app (may be Sketchup) that slows your system by using most or all of some resource: CPU, Memory, Network, Disk....

You probably will need to do the above several times especially if you have other programs running in the background. Stop or close them as warranted. Could see some sudden improvement in the download speed thereafter.

For example your AV may be slowing down Sketchup's downloads....

Or, you may find, Sketchup is simply...
Open Task Manager on your computer.

Watch what is happening for awhile then move the window aside.

Open Sketchup in another window but arrange that you can still see or check Task Manager.

Then, at last, download a model and continue watching.

The objective is to identify some process, service, or app (may be Sketchup) that slows your system by using most or all of some resource: CPU, Memory, Network, Disk....

You probably will need to do the above several times especially if you have other programs running in the background. Stop or close them as warranted. Could see some sudden improvement in the download speed thereafter.

For example your AV may be slowing down Sketchup's downloads....

Or, you may find, Sketchup is simply not designed well and its' download "feature" is simply that - slow.

Solution