Drive Where Windows is Installed is Locked

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexdale94

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
I upgraded to Windows 8.1 yesterday and I have been having trouble so I am trying to do a Refresh.
It says "the drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again"
What is wrong? What do I do?

dogday911

Estimable
May 11, 2014
Using windows 8 recovery disc or usb stick you can run repair commands to fix the boot record.
With bootrec.exe

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot
bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

as has been previously stated in this thread. I had to do it with a windows 10 install and it worked fine. Takes 5 minutes.

Paul_200

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016

That was exactly what was wrong with my system. Battery needed replaced, had to switch RAID back on for each drive in the BIOS. Many thanks for the tip!

Peter_176

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016

Looked good , but when I try to run chkdsk I get message "Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected". When I try scannow I get " Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation." Any ideas?

ronb22999

Estimable
Jun 3, 2014

sirstoffe

Commendable
Nov 1, 2016
Brilliant!
I had error code 0xd000000d on startup and the SSD was locked as described above, but when typing these three commands in the cmd (accessing it by using the windows 8.1 cd) it completely solved the problem! Thanks!! =)

warbd

Estimable
Jan 9, 2016
These commands just fixed my Windows 10 system. Thanks!!!!

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot
bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

Apr 29, 2017

I can confirm that switching the BIOS setting to EUFI worked for me as well. It may or may not look exactly the way described above. Mine didn't. In my case, I switched from "Legacy" to "EUFI" and Windows 10 then booted perfectly.

SOLVED!

coltomw

Prominent
Aug 21, 2017

I've done all of this but it reads back to me: Total identified Windows instalations: 0 The operation completed successfully.

I'm unable to perform a restart aside from powering it off and turning it back on, any suggestions? At this point if i habe to wipe it i would be okay with that but i am unable to do that as it says that the partition is missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.