Drive with two partitions

1Thewho2

Estimable
Jun 18, 2015
Can I increase the partition on Drive C when the hard drive has two equal sized partition. The partition C: is down to 52 GB and the D drive still has 127 GB of space? This makes the C partition drive very slow.

Most partition management software will allow you to shrink one partition in preparation to enlarge an adjacent partition. When you shrink the D: partition, just be sure to shrink the side that's next to the C: partition.
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

This is a risky operation though, since data is being moved (instead of only formatting and partition boundaries being changed). So be sure you have a backup. If the process fails, it can cause irrecoverable data loss. (It's also for this reason that I stopped trying to be cute and create separate partitions for the OS and data. It's too much work to fix it when one of those partitions runs out of space while there is plenty of free space on the other partition. Newer filesystems will let you over-provision, effectively allowing both partitions to "share" the remaining free space. But NTFS hasn't had a significant upgrade in, well, forever.)

But I agrree with Alabalcho. If you have 50 GB free, you shouldn't be experiencing any slowdown unless it's like a 4 TB drive. Have you tried defragmenting your C: partition?

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi
Assuming windows not Linux
Lookup disk cleanup
To make more free space
Including old recycle bin data
Old restore points
Backup of windows folder made before adding service packs
Then run cleaner ( for each account)

Finally things like hybernation file and swap file can be moved from c: to d:

This is less risky than moving start of d: back then moving end of c: into free space

Regards
Mike Barnes

1Thewho2

Estimable
Jun 18, 2015