Driver of Self-driving Google Car Breaks the Law?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pandemonium_ctp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
You can't really fault an "operator" of an autonomous vehicle for being on a cellular phone. The operator is there in case something goes wrong...which I'd think an operator would have the common sense and training to know how to drop the phone and take over should something errant happen.

Autonomy is another controversial dilemna. Some people really shouldn't be behind the wheel. Other people, on the other hand, are certainly capable of driving stick, while talking on a cell phone and eating a taco from their lap (me, when I was 17). As long as they don't make autonomy mandated, I'm all for it. I don't really understand it though, since I actually enjoy driving (just not with the ID10Ts on the road). [Before you judge, I started driving in the snow season and have had 0 accidents with 250k+ miles traveled.]

I just think our comforted driving conditions relax people to the point of not really having to learn the fundamentals of driving a vehicle and desensitizes us to the fact that it's a powerful machine at the touch of our fingertips. That combined with insurance and then lawyers that love to give "equal" justice to people that are completely at fault. Take responsibility for your own actions is what I'm getting at.

woofster

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
[citation][nom]55range[/nom]Well, he was not driving so...[/citation]
He was in charge of a motorised vehicle which is classified as "driving" whether or not he was physically holding the wheel or not. If he crashed into you because he "wasnt driving" im sure you would have a different opinion on the legal implications.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Chrys[/nom]I trust computers not to make fatal mistakes more than I trust people[/citation]
unless someone jacks up the code, lol

suddenstop

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
Google is awesome, they are true innovators. Half of the stuff they do is just for the hell of it, and while the google haters hate their success, look at all the things they do for folks every day for free.

Autonomous cars are a lot better than the idiots on the road!

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
heck yea, can't wiat for the day i can kick back in my car as it drives me the thousand mile drive from flirida to chicago to see the inlaws :D I'd gladly take a trai... if there were trains, and bus tickets cost almsot as much as plane tickets these days .. i used to fly but with the new security stuff and added charges for bags eff it i'll drive my own vehicle until my car can drive there for me :D

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Looks to me like the Google car "driver" is just resting his elbow on his door and and his cheek on his fist, probably looking out his window enjoying:
A) The scenery and/or
B) The attention he's getting from other drivers!

G

If you trust electronics more than you trust humans, you are stupid.... humans write the programs that operate the electronics. Think before you speak please.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]br_tyce[/nom]If you trust electronics more than you trust humans, you are stupid.... humans write the programs that operate the electronics. Think before you speak please.[/citation]
I bet the guy who wrote the code paid more attention than most drivers do, so please... think before you speak please.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
Nah he's not on the phone, he's just asleep, no biggie :)

Bring on autonomous driving, then it wont matter if cocks want to use the phone or text while driving.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I think the manufacturer of autonomous cars should get the fines or be jailed (liability) with robotic vehicles if proven defective.But I would place this on a stipulation that the vehicle be perfectly maintained otherwise I would find the owner/buyer at fault.After perhaps 5 years of vehicle age I couldn't see the manufacturer at fault.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]jj463rd[/nom]I think the manufacturer of autonomous cars should get the fines or be jailed (liability) with robotic vehicles if proven defective.But I would place this on a stipulation that the vehicle be perfectly maintained otherwise I would find the owner/buyer at fault.After perhaps 5 years of vehicle age I couldn't see the manufacturer at fault.[/citation]
Even after 5 years, the exact driving situation needed to reveal a software bug may not have occurred.

That said, even with potential submarine bugs, I still think it would be safer than humans driving. I do wish there were more requirements for people to maintain their cars properly, though.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Couldn't the picture have been taken with say, a Digital Camera? I keep one on my vehicle at all times in the event of an accident, see big foot, or a ufo.

/tinfoil_hat_on.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Yea... I google while driving and I am yet to smash into someone... That's what I think about that law...

As a road tech I have a full meal while driving sometimes so a phone is the least of my worries... So you can all guess what I think about the Drive + Phone Law...

Looking forward to the future of those, cars can drive at 100, slow down to 60 scanning intersections without the need of lights... just scanning and slowing of accelerating to avoid collision...

Concept is great... kinda scary but great.

Status
Not open for further replies.