Driver of Self-driving Google Car Breaks the Law?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

@br_tyce

air travel must be hell for you then, cause 80% the time the thing that flies that plane is a computer, the pilot basically just does the take off and landing unless unforeseen circumstances occur

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]SlickyFats[/nom]Is it illegal to be on your Cell Phone while driving there? I live in Texas and the only place it is illegal is in School Zone and only if it is clearly posted.[/citation]

In California, it is illegal to be on the phone without a hands free device, whether you're texting or calling, either one is illegal.

If you have a hands free device, then you're all set. Funny part is when drivers pull over on the highway to talk on the phone, thinking that they're safe. They don't realize that pulling over when it's not an emergency is actually a ticketable offense.

G

In many states there are existing laws that allow one to ride horses, even in the city, while intoxicated or otherwise distracted -- the reasoning being that the horse is intelligent enough to find its own way without the rider. I have a feeling the same laws will soon be extended to autonomous vehicles.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]br_tyce[/nom]If you trust electronics more than you trust humans, you are stupid.... humans write the programs that operate the electronics. Think before you speak please.[/citation]
this is dumb...
Ever use a calculator? has it been wrong?

People make mistakes, cimputers don't. If the code is solid errors won't occure.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]micr0be[/nom]in 2030, five out of every six words in a sentence will be google.[/citation]
So, it'll be like the smurf village with google replacing smurf.

candrwhite

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
"The only problem is that you can't actually see a cell phone in the guy's hand, and the person taking the picture, unless stopped at a traffic light or stop sign, was also using his or her own phone. Oops!"

Unless it was the PASSENGER taking the picture.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
i can't see anybody in the vehicle as far as the photo goes, just something yellow by the head rest, a ninja turtle perhaps? also as far as the photo goes i can't tell if there was a passenger taking a picture from the photographers vehicle either.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]this is dumb... Ever use a calculator? has it been wrong? People make mistakes, cimputers don't. If the code is solid errors won't occure.[/citation]

ok lets test to see if the code is solid, put it on the road after an ice storm. put it in the path of a tornado. and grieve i nominate you to jump out infront of it suddenly from between parked cars , just because you can and lack of a any good reason like chasing a ball, we'll just call it a suicide charge. also let's test it while some one is shooting at the car. can't tell you how many people do that to paramedics, cops and firemen and random passing motorist.
i have a pretty good feeling none of that programming was written into the code.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]ok lets test to see if the code is solid, put it on the road after an ice storm. put it in the path of a tornado. and grieve i nominate you to jump out infront of it suddenly from between parked cars , just because you can and lack of a any good reason like chasing a ball, we'll just call it a suicide charge. also let's test it while some one is shooting at the car. can't tell you how many people do that to paramedics, cops and firemen and random passing motorist.i have a pretty good feeling none of that programming was written into the code.[/citation]

I'd jump in front of it. A computer's reaction time is MUCH faster than a humans, that means more time to safely stop.

As far as shooting at the car goes, what do you propose it would do? Start swerving madly and crash off the side of the road like a human would? I bet the computer would keep driving along and just take the shots, a far safer alternative. It's like hitting a dog: you risk a bigger accident by swerving to miss it.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
if those packets of data can navigate the internet then cars should be able to navigate by themselves too. on second thought i prefer to be hit by an electron than a 2 ton vehicle.

frosty7

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
look at the picture. who would hold a cell phone with their fingers curved in that direction. the phone would be almost horizontal. therefore, resting hand on face and not violating laws.

jodrummersh

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I'm about ready to quit Tom's for good. The writing and editing (if any) is so piss poor! I mean, I get the points the articles make, but a lot of times they have a flow of a 12 year-old's essay, commonly have misspellings or grammatical errors, and can barely be called journalism.

With this article, the first paragraph puts the fear iinto us of an autonomous car hitting "another motor." Hmm, I'd say if it's already hit one motor, chances of it hitting another are slim, since I've never once heard of any car anywhere "hitting a MOTOR." It's just sloppy writing, and as it continues, it's making me worry about the slipping literacy of our journalists at large.

pandemonium_ctp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
[citation][nom]jodrummersh[/nom]I'm about ready to quit Tom's for good. The writing and editing (if any) is so piss poor! I mean, I get the points the articles make, but a lot of times they have a flow of a 12 year-old's essay, commonly have misspellings or grammatical errors, and can barely be called journalism....
...it's making me worry about the slipping literacy of our journalists at large.[/citation]

Good luck with that. I see grammatical, spelling, punctuation and editorial lax everywhere in news articles all over the net. Much as the golden age of "proper English" has all but ceased to exist, as will "plain English". Laziness rules supreme.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Chrys[/nom]I trust computers not to make fatal mistakes more than I trust people[/citation]

I would have the same trust if every single car on the road was autonomous but that isn't the case and won't be the case for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.