drivers for miracast

vince carlisle

Prominent
May 3, 2017
This past also appears in the comments section, I did no realize there was an Ask a Catagory Expert option. Sorry.

Something that needs to be addressed to stall all the hairpulling I did trying to get either the Chromecast or the MS wireless display adapter to work with my computer. I spent many many hours searching the net for a solution and come to find out that my machine, although a great machine when I bought it in 2011 as a Win 7 machine since updated to Win 10. It seems that any machine prior to factory made Win 8 machines are not compatible with Miracast. The Windows update help page advises contacting the manufacturer for drivers to make it work, but HP says there are NO drivers available for my machine. Help, I need some drivers. Please.

EirikH

Estimable
Oct 19, 2015
it is not only the wifi card that could be the issue, it could also be the graphics card. Nvidia cut support for miracast over a year ago, so any new drivers will not make it work. I rolled mine back to 350.12 (http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverresults.aspx/83819/en-us), and after that, miracast worked flawlessly

skarhyttan

Prominent
Aug 27, 2017

I tried to install this driver but that was impossible on my windows 10 v 1703 (Creators update)

EirikH

Estimable
Oct 19, 2015

I'm also using the latest windows version, but it worked for me. the screen did turn black right after installation, but after a quick restart, the driver was working perfectly. What makes you believe it is impossible to install it?

skarhyttan

Prominent
Aug 27, 2017

I uninstalled and deleted the existing NVIDIA drivers (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (desktop) resp 950M (laptop))
and when trying to install the driver you suggest, the error message on both my ASUS Laptop and ASUS Desktop was:
NVIDIAS installation program could not go on. This driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.
As the 350.12 driver is for older OS than windows 10 v 1703, is there any idea to experiment with some kind of compatibility situation...?

EirikH

Estimable
Oct 19, 2015

Sorry for not getting back to you, i completely forgot about this post. All I know is that it worked on both of my computers. However, my hardware is getting outdated. My laptop is running a 4 yearold gtx 860m, and my desktop has a gtx 980. These were both present when the update i was suggesting, 350.12, was released. Seeing as your gpu is brand new, it might not support the older drivers.

But btw, for your laptop, do you also have intel integrated graphics? Because i believe Nvidia cut their miracast support while intel/microsoft would continue. So if you set your application to run on the integrated graphics, you will most likely be able to cast it to your tv

skarhyttan

Prominent
Aug 27, 2017

skarhyttan

Prominent
Aug 27, 2017
My laptop is about one year old and my desktop about half a year. The laptop is using Intel (R) HD Graphics 4600 and NVIDIA Geforce GTX 950M and when using Miracast the TV screen freezes after about 10 minutes. DXdiag says that the graphics driver is not compatible with Miracast. I wonder how it would be possible to set my application to run on the Intel driver (or some other driver?), because I think you are right that the NVIDIA driver is not compatible with Miracast.

In my desktop there is only a NVIDIA driver (NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080) and when I connect with the TV, the PC screen gets immediately blac, but the PC screen can be seen on the TV. DXdiag has the same message as concerning the laptop.

EirikH

Estimable
Oct 19, 2015

On your laptop, you should be able to right click your program, click "run with graphics driver" or "run with graphics card" something like that. Just select the intel graphics card, and you should be able to mirror it to your tv. (If you are unable to do this, I think you can select the default graphics card in the nvidia control panel (which you can find by rightclicking your desktop), or it might also work to switch your computer to power saving mode). As for your desktop, there's not much I can help you with. When I tried to connect with my own, it proceeded to connect, but just as connection had been established, it was cut off. It cut off immediately, so i couldn't even see a frame of my computer on the tv. Only solution i can think of is to roll back to a driver that supported it, and i'm positive that the 350.12 driver does. I'm fairly sure this driver was released the summer 2015. You could attempt with later drivers, but i think this is amongst (if not) the last nvidia drivers that support it

skarhyttan

Prominent
Aug 27, 2017

skarhyttan

Prominent
Aug 27, 2017
To ErikH:

Well, I managed to install your suggestion 350.12 driver after a thorough uninstall of my latest driver with the help og Guru 3D. Unfortunately this didn´t help. After a few minutes, sometimes up to half an hour, the TV disconnects and start showing "normal" channel programs. It is in fact the same situation with the latest driver. Power saving mode didn´t help either. The default graphics card is of course selected.

I can´t see how I can right click on a TV app or Firefox to make it use the Intel driver instead.

In fact my laptop worked without any problem with Miracast last year during the summer...

Btw, do you or anyone have some understanding of the article I enclose here. Is it relevant for personal use, can it be formulated in an understandable way for a normal user, etc..?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/surface-hub/miracast-over-infrastructure