Driverupdate.net advertisement possibly a scam or virus?

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
I have adblock pro and notice the word "RECOMMENDED SOLUTION: DOWNLOAD THE OFFICIAL DRIER UPDATE AND REPAIR UTILITY" and then with the website title underneath

Take note that this site is the only time it appears

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
Nope didn't install anything, the website was blocked by the avira browser safety so nothing was downoaded and I checked the programs and features and nothing suspicious was downloaded...The ad just appears on tomshardware and nowhere else......

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Open Malware bytes.
Click on settings at the top.
Click on Detection and Protection on the left.
Put a check mark in the "Scan for Rootkits box.
In the non- malware protection box
PUP set it to treat detections as malware.
PUM set it to treat detection as malware.
Now do a full rescan your system.

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014

Still found nothing...maybe its just with this website or something

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I run AdBlocker too.. and I never see ads here. And I spend tons of hours here every week.

I suspect despite what Avast told you, something did get through. Obviously there is something on your system that wasn't there before Avast told you it blocked it.

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I do not use ad-block as sites I visit deserve their ad revenue.
But I do keep flash disabled and run a add-on called Blur from Abine to stop all tracking cookies.
Might be what you have. A tracking cookie from another website you visited that also serves adds to Toms Hardware.

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The driver update is really Adware that will install other things on your computer if allowed. Your antivirus caught it and blocked it.
But I do suggest installing some sort of tracking cookie software. You would be amazed at how many tracking cookies sites place on your computer.
These cookies follow your every step on the internet and report back to the company that placed them every time you visit a site that uses the same ad serving company.
Facebook being one of the worst as their logo(tracking cookie injector) is on most sites. So they get a list of every site you visit with the Facebook logo on it.
Next up would be Google with their Adsence program, and the list goes on and on and on and on!!!!!

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014

No need to worry, my system is acting normal and hitmanpro and malwarebytes have not caught anything after scanning twice including avast...Also there was no PUPs downloaded so I'm ok and I checked my google downloads and no PUPs were found espcially in my downloads folder