DROID Pro Launching Q4; 1.3GHz, Android 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

scione

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I keep waiting and waiting for the top of the line... but man they are really pumping out new models. All I ask is for a phone that doesnt become "old" in as little as 8 months

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]scione[/nom]I keep waiting and waiting for the top of the line... but man they are really pumping out new models. All I ask is for a phone that doesnt become "old" in as little as 8 months[/citation]
How many pieces of technology on this site don't become "old" in 8 months?

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
As the days go by I think I'm becoming more and more of an Android fanboy. In the beginning it was because of the superior hardware, open-source software, user-customizability, ability to easily do whatever I please with the hardware.

But now I'm getting more and more worried that my love of hardware is becoming clouded with dreams of Android 3.0 and new devices... Isn't that sortof what we bashed the iPhone fanboys for?

Actually, no. *MOST* of them are still convinced that Steve is a god and that a software update will fix their antenna.

~Android Fanboy (I think)

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
^^
Wrong. I for one am not a big fan of Steve. However, Im loving my jailbroken iPhone and Cydia app store. Can do so much more with my phone now, like run Flash for instance.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]osxsier[/nom]^^Wrong. I for one am not a big fan of Steve. However, Im loving my jailbroken iPhone and Cydia app store. Can do so much more with my phone now, like run Flash for instance.[/citation]

well, Thats good for you. but that's morally wrong... sounds like you should be giving your money to the cydia and jailbreak teams, not Steve...

thats why I'd never get an iphone and jailbreak. I'd rather give my money to the guys who are nurturing functionality like what a jailbreak gives you. not the guys who try to make it illegal! when you buy an iphone, you are telling Apple that their way is right.

still, I know you can't base all your purchasings on morals alone... just saying is all...

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
You can never wait for the top of the line model with the Android community because the development goes so fast. Here we are, just launching the Droid 2 and Droid 3 is already in the planning.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]scione[/nom]I keep waiting and waiting for the top of the line... but man they are really pumping out new models. All I ask is for a phone that doesnt become "old" in as little as 8 months[/citation]

On the hardware side, anything with 512MB RAM and a 1 GHz Snapdragon should be fast enough for years to come. Mine seems to handle even heavy websites just fine, especially after I updated to Froyo. Better battery life due to finer manufacturing processes will probably be the biggest benefit of upgrading in 2011.

It's on the software side that it will be hard to keep up with a non-rooted phone. Carriers and phone manufacturers will want to keep Android 3 exclusive to new handsets, to differentiate them from older ones. They can then market new Android 3-features as model-specific. Of course you can root your phone and keep up. Froyo works on many 2009 and early 2010 phones thanks to modded ROMs, bringing functionality to the same level as the latest models.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]I[/citation]
That did say:

I heart my Nexus One too. We will have Android 3.0 before everyone else.

Don't know why it chopped it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.