Droid X Owners Consuming 5x as Much Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]I guess Droid users can hold the phones "correctly."[/citation]

Lol

Its no suprise. The thing has a massive screen great for watching videos and can probably easily support higher res videos from YouTube and such.

If anything this should sway VZW away from moving to a tierd data plan.

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
( No disrespect to THG ) Dear Cell phone companies .. this is news why ?? You are surprised WHY? 5 times the data WHY ? hmmm lets see .. May I give you one bit of advice. Stop being surprised and lets get the infrastructure built so there is no Gotchas... we are consumers .. give us an inch we will take that mile... Meetings are going all the time to figure out how to scalp the next 20 bucks a month to cover your short comings .. There is a good chance that some of the very people that retired or got "fired" , let go , what ever tried to warn the likes of AT&T, Verizon, Sprint ( add your cell provider here ) that this was going to happen ... did you listen ? Probably not because you are too busy scratching your head!.. SO my dearest providers that sell these wonderful phones.. Reach out to those that have a better Idea than you realizing that the person that has the best idea may be beneath you in rank OR older in wisdom ... and common sense.

Thank you ---

Rhynn

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
That's only because the phones are BRAND SPANKING NEW. They have to download -everything- onto an empty phone. This statistic is pure nonsense and only something a corporate spokesperson would put out to reinforce the corporate greed motive behind ending unlimited data plans. Check those statistics again after 3 months,. I guarantee they drop by about oh...5x.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Not that this means it's untrue... however I just spoke with Verizon Tech/Customer support about 40 minutes ago. As of this evening, they have not been told about unlimited data plans going away. :)

Though, a local private Verizon retailer (not a corporate store) gave me the head nod indicating he'd heard Verizon may indeed do so.

The Droid X piqued my interests as a potential BlackBerry replacement for me next year. But, without and unlimited data plan, I probably won't be upgrading anything. I told the Verizon representative I'd use my phone until it crapped out to keep my "grandfathered" data plan.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Rhynn[/nom]That's only because the phones are BRAND SPANKING NEW. They have to download -everything- onto an empty phone. This statistic is pure nonsense and only something a corporate spokesperson would put out to reinforce the corporate greed motive behind ending unlimited data plans. Check those statistics again after 3 months,. I guarantee they drop by about oh...5x.[/citation]

I'm going to disagree with you. Larger screen, better video streaming capabilities, ability to upload larger video files from the phone to youtube.

My guess - if you look at phones they bill as larger screen, full web browsing experience, video streaming capable, etc. then they will use 5x or more data than phones that have mobile web browsers, limited "apps" for interfacing with social network sites, email, and no ability to stream video (or take decent video to upload to youtube).

The problem with the idea of their current caps is they are basing them on old data with phones that didn't have the capabilities of the new ones. These new phones are multimedia beasts. Would you want your ISP to base usage caps on old 56k modem data from a day when web pages were mostly static text and a couple of tiny gifs? No, you have broadband and multimedia computers that are capable of HD playback - and you want to use it without paying hundreds to thousands of dollars a month due to data overage charges.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Give us real stats. So what that is about 1GB per user? According to what another carrier claims is used on average by smartphone users.

Quote: "AT&T said 65% of its smartphone users use less than 200 MB ... 98% use less than 2 GB"

flip_x

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
aww look verizon changes there data to limited.. there network couldnt last a month with a phone that alot of peeps use alot of data on.. this proves att network is better.. how long did they keep it up for? 3 years of iphone user abuse? verizon few weeks.. gezz

pandemonium_ctp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
[citation][nom]flip_x[/nom]aww look verizon changes there data to limited.. there network couldnt last a month with a phone that alot of peeps use alot of data on.. this proves att network is better.. how long did they keep it up for? 3 years of iphone user abuse? verizon few weeks.. gezz[/citation]

Exactly. That's why I've had no problems with AT&T for over 7 years, yet I read all these news articles, reviews, and consumer complaints about how poor their service is. Ohnoes, Verizon can't hack it either...with 1 phone that's hogging their network. Meanwhile, AT&T has several that fit that category.

What a bunch of douchebags...the lot of you. No, the customer is not always right. They're just a whiney little abusive spoiled brat.

I personally thank Jobs for the trend of douchebaggery he's put into motion. /golfclap

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I'm wondering what part the developers have in this. They are the ones that program these applications after all, and if they are inefficient or unoptimized it would consume extra data.

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
The UK providers have now mostly removed the unlimited plans, usually along the lines of 500mb to 1gig per month. The US will follow suit eventually.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]pandemonium_ctp[/nom]Exactly. That's why I've had no problems with AT&T for over 7 years, yet I read all these news articles, reviews, and consumer complaints about how poor their service is. Ohnoes, Verizon can't hack it either...with 1 phone that's hogging their network. Meanwhile, AT&T has several that fit that category.What a bunch of douchebags...the lot of you. No, the customer is not always right. They're just a whiney little abusive spoiled brat.I personally thank Jobs for the trend of douchebaggery he's put into motion. /golfclap[/citation]

Where did it say they couldnt handle the data? ATT litteraly couldnt handle the data it cut out or just wouldnt work. But verizon hasnt done that. So where did you make any sense?

They from what i got from it would be moving thier cell broadband to what thier fios is. Tier service. Which im assuming you dont know what that means since you assumed it was because thier network couldnt handle data. So 3 lvls of service. Low end data user Mid grade and high data user. its how almost all ISP's work. The cell market is starting to catch up with desktop use in terms of bandwidth.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]They from what i got from it would be moving thier cell broadband to what thier fios is. Tier service. Which im assuming you dont know what that means since you assumed it was because thier network couldnt handle data. So 3 lvls of service. Low end data user Mid grade and high data user. its how almost all ISP's work. The cell market is starting to catch up with desktop use in terms of bandwidth.[/citation]

I'm assuming *you* don't know, but the "tiered" service between FIOS and what VZ is proposing for their cell plans is completely different. FIOS currently is a speed based cap, e.g. 20 down/5 up. The cell plan is a data usage cap, e.g. 2GB/$25 (ATT). Don't get all butthurt over VZ's squealing now that they have a real smart phone on their network.

BTW, I don't care what any carrier tells you. Based on the network as a whole, not spot areas like NYC (What isn't congested in NYC FFS? I hate that place.) there is no congestion problem with VZ or ATT. The issue is all about how to get more money to increase profits and raise the value of the company stock, plain and simple. ATT/VZ aren't there to provide a service, they are there to make money. Makes me long for the days when a "Telephone" was considered a utility, and regulated.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
One more thing, if (according to ATT) 65% of smart users only use 200MB/mo or less, how is soft-limiting them to that amount going to do anything to improve network congestion? Sounds to me like they just want to further monetize the user who occasionally breaks his/her habits. If they *really* wanted to improve network congestion, they would simply throttle the heaviest users on the network based on their EIN. If you get someone who ditches their home cable/internet package and likes to tether their cell for Hulu at home, that is abusing the network IMO. Those are the ones that you need to rake over the coals. Not the consumer base as a whole.

Think people don't do that? : http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/7127-no-tethered-hulu-wtf.html

Status
Not open for further replies.