Dropbox Accidently Turned Off Password for 4 Hrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

1. Disposable Greendot Prepaid Card ✓
2. Home data storage ✓
3. Owning your own storage, priceless!

G

All these security breaches (accidental or otherwise) are just terrifying. Absolutely terrifying.

The cloud is meant to be the future? No thanks - count me out.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Maybe I'm just careless, but I'm not overly worried about such a thing. The window of opportunity is rather small, and nobody in their right mind would store seriously sensitive data in such a place anyway.

G

[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]Maybe I'm just careless, but I'm not overly worried about such a thing. The window of opportunity is rather small, and nobody in their right mind would store seriously sensitive data in such a place anyway.[/citation]

I agree, but it's a worrying state of affairs that organisations are asking people to embrace "The Cloud" and move their lives online when they're clearly incapable of actually keeping data secure and private.

If you're going to store millions of people's private details and bank account data, you'd better at least be sure that it can't fall into the wrong hands - not to mention in plain text format, via a simple SQL injection attack - the most *preventable* form of attack in existence.

Sony had a case of lax security, Dropbox have just been plain clumsy with their code. Either way, it's an absolute disgrace.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I agree that they should be more carefull with security. But I'm not naive enough to think that anything can be completely safe. I mean I've got 10TB of storage at home. That means approx 6GB of data I wouldn't want to lose. Private data. I've taken what security precautions I'm capable of with regards to network security, but any idiot could break down the door and pick up my server while I'm at work. It's a risk like that sony faced. It can be made more difficult, but never truely prevented.

The dropbox case is the equivalent of not even locking the door though, which never should happen. But then again. We're all human, and we all make mistakes. We just have to be damn sure we don't make the same mistake twice. And so far they've only gotten the first strike. And at least they're admitting to making it in the first place. I'm not so sure I would've.

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
This is why you don't trust anyone else with your data. Read the T&C's you sign up to for any of this cloud shit. When (not if) they screw up, they can just shrug their shoulders. They have no responsibility or duty of care whatsoever. I understand *why* they would want to limit their liabilities - but should you use any cloud service you should do so under the positive assumption that you will be monitored constantly, everything will be available to your own and the US government plus any hacker with enough time and luck. Then you should assume that whenever you need to access anything urgently that the service will be down and that everything can and will be deleted at the most inopportune moment, never to be seen again.

In other words these are services for people who don't give a crap, run by people who definitely don't give a crap.

singadick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
DropBox encrypts all files that they store, but they have a 'back door' to be able to decrypt those files.
For better security, encrypt your files before putting them in your DropBox. EncryptOnClick is freeware that can do so. And the related backup/synchronization software can move files in and out automatically.
(Vendor comment)

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Dropbox is one of many cloud storage solution that offers a free 2 GB basic service and additional storage for a monthly fee......That said, unauthorized access to a Dropbox account means that the "snoop" had access to the account holder's email address, credit card and/or paypal information, and whatever is stored in the cloud.
i think the fee of cloud storage just got a lot higher.
so people, you REALLY think the cloud is the future when something like this happens.
yeah a WD 1.5TB external HDD for a one time fee of $70 at microcenter
can't wait to see lulzsec take down a cloud.
rain on a parade = bummer
hackers reigning on cloud = nightmare

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I had a Dropbox account for a few weeks, but I wasn't happy with how it connected with my Android phone. With SugarSync I get 5GB free and a very nice interface on Desktop, Web, and Mobile Apps. Now, would I store anything of remote importance there? Heck no! But backing up music, ROM's, and pictures on my phone? Heck yes!

Also, I'm suddenly feeling the urge to buy a few more $80 2TB drives...

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]NoCaDrummer[/nom]Can't Tom's do something about the spammers, such as : gdfk ghjnnmm wuyu2070[/citation]

They said no. Unfortunate.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]They said no. Unfortunate.[/citation]"Hehe uhm, Beavis? Hehe, yeah, Butthead? I'm not sure yet, but hehe, but I think this sucks!"

Sorry, but this stupid spam gets to a point where I just start sounding like an imbecile...

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The sad thing is this not just a vulnerability of cloud storage, but anything that can be accessed via the internet. Security is not about how secure things are when things go right; it is about when things go wrong, as in the worse case scenario. A bank vault is secure because of the laws of physics. The laws of physics do not get updated, hacked, or mismanaged. Software is constantly updated, hacked, or mismanaged. A person can talk until they are blue in the face about software security, but that is always based on the premise that things go right.

Status
Not open for further replies.