Dropbox Strikes Back: Adds Auto-Uploading, More Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]No cloud for me... its bullshit.[/citation]

How many times have you wanted to share a file you don't have on you right that second? Put it in Dropbox and sync.. Right click and get an external link. Email the link to all concerned parties. Everybody gets some and you don't have to keep track of the caps on your dongles.

rumandcoke

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
to misry...

intelligent people do not shun the cloud because it isn't convenient... which it is as you have shown. Intelligent people shun the "cloud" (i mean regular ol' server) because of security... as in total lack of security or control on anything ever uploaded onto the cloud.

it's a fools tool and a tool for people who believe in a zero privacy future.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
The beauty of competition. I don't care if you're an AMD or Intel fan, this is why we need AMD to start getting competitive again in the CPU space.

Envix

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
This space was already available before google drive- kind of misleading to imply that it's a reaction to it.

frish

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]rumandcoke[/nom]to misry...intelligent people do not shun the cloud because it isn't convenient... which it is as you have shown. Intelligent people shun the "cloud" (i mean regular ol' server) because of security... as in total lack of security or control on anything ever uploaded onto the cloud.it's a fools tool and a tool for people who believe in a zero privacy future.[/citation]
Lol, just because you don't like the idea of the cloud doesn't mean that it's not suitable for anyone else, or that you;re less intelligent for using it. personally I've found dropbox very convenient. If you're uploading files that you'd rather be more private, then just encrypt it. The prices do seem a little high though compared to google drive (which has a bigger privacy concern until they amend their t&c)

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
i reeeeaaaallllyyy wish cloud would stop being used as a synonymous moniker for remote/network storage.

The cloud should refer to computing as a service, processed in server farms.

By the common usage i have had "the cloud" since the 90's

G

actaully 5 gig was available to beta users, this adds nothing to my increased storage as a beta user. cmon dropbox catch up and throw us all aditional 25 gig free as windows is killing you in this storage department limits.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
@article:
MS shrunk 25GB storage down to 7GB so that they could then increase it again to 25GB for those who already had it.

@DroKing:
Information is simply information, and there are several great reasons to use these cloud storage services:
1) Many of us have our own personal file servers, but sometimes it is simply easier/faster to put something up on a real server with real bandwidth. For example I put up common drivers and software installs that I use all the time for my test boxes so that I have everything in a single place instead of hunting for websites or CDs. Just install an OS and a network driver, and I can get the rest easily. Obviously a USB drive should be easier, but I more often dont know where it is than do.
2) For others it is easier to share pictures and videos with family via a common internet service. Have you tried getting an elderly woman to log into an FTP server to download video of their great grandson? It cannot be done! It is much easier to set them up on Skydrive, give them permissions to the file, and give them a phone call (they won't use eMail because it got their husband laid off from the postal service) to let them know that there is a new video for them.
3) Don't post stupid/incriminating things online. Period. On your own servier, or anyone else's. Personally I don't care if someone sees a pic of how my flowers turned out this last year, or if you happen to like the wall color I picked out for a room, or if you look at a picture of my family. If someone wanted to do me harm, they can quite simply do me harm, and I am not giving them any more of an invitation to do so by putting something up on the web (securely or not). To think otherwise is shortsighted and dumb. Yes, there would be dumb things to put on the internet... like a picture of my car with it's license plate, or a picture of how awesome an HDTV looks next to an open window on the first floor with a note saying "I purchased this today!" with a time stamp (seriously though... I don't own an HDTV, just a progressive SDTV so move along to one of my neighbors who watch their 65+ inch TVs facing the street so that you can watch whatever show they are watching from your house down the block).
4) Cloud storage is also a great backup as I trust MS to have better backups than my RAID 1 or 5, and it is easier to restore that information than digging out the yearly DVD backups.
5) On top of that I trust MS and other servers to be more secure than what I am capable of doing with my own personal home server. I may have a fair level of intelligence and I have done a bit of homework, but I am also no security expert and am fine with being 'reasonably secure' rather than going nuts and making fort Knox in my basement. Because there are a lot of smarter people than myself. So things I want to see that I do not want other people to see goes on CD/DVD and is not kept on my computer at all.

@Jackbling
What makes these cloud services is more in how you interact with the data rather than the fact that it is a file on a server. With most of these you simply have a folder that is synced with the cloud storage. A few minutes later it is available on all of your approved/shared devices either locally, or via the server. But the fact that you interact with your device instead of uploading or downloading something via FTP (which can be a pain), and have more control over the files is what makes is 'cloud' instead of a simple server share.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Love the sarcasm of Google Docs renamed to Google Drive lol.

But on a serious note, why make people jump through hoops to get a space boost? It seems kind of silly with how many scavenger hunts Dropbox has.

vigilante212

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
One thing bad about drop box is shared folders It doesn't matter who puts the files in them, they consume everyone's limit that is shared with them.

bruckheimer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
Google is a great, but Dropbox is the best. That's one thing they will be changing here soon, then they will be top notch. Smile!

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]misry[/nom]How many times have you wanted to share a file you don't have on you right that second? Put it in Dropbox and sync.. Right click and get an external link. Email the link to all concerned parties. Everybody gets some and you don't have to keep track of the caps on your dongles.[/citation]

You "share" 25GB of files ?
Hello RIAA, MPAA... :)

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]No cloud for me... its bullshit.[/citation]

You won't be laughing when your PSU blows up and all your data gone...
Sharing aside, dropbox is an excellent data backup service for important documents.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I've just finished looking at all 3 solutions, dropbox, google drive and sykdrive. They are all now basically the same thing, they all have a native windows app w/ folder to do drag and drop, they all sync to multiple devices, they all let you share files, they all have free and paid packages.

Here are the differences from what I can see.

1) Dropbox is the most expensive, 2GB free +500/mb per referral vs 7GB Google Docs and 7GB Microsoft SkyDrive. Legacy SkyDrive users get 25GB. Dropboxes paid packages are approx 40% more than Googles/Microsofts. Microsoft's appears to be the cheepest per MB especially if you have a legacy account and get the +25GB.

2) Dropbox has the most cross device support with apps for Windows, Mac OSX, iOS and Android. Google Drive only has native support for Windows and Android and SkyDrive has access for Windows/Windows Phone, Mac OSX and iOS.

3) They all have similar file size limits now in the area of 2GB, SkyDrive in the past was limited to 300MB which did not make it good for syncing family videos but that is no longer the case.

4) Auto-Upload was already supported for photos/video on Android via Google Plus which now integrates into Google Drive. This is a new feature for Dropbox.

At the end of the day, I have been testing each of these from a machine-to-cloud perspective and the auto-sync and storage is pretty strait forward and there is little difference. If you want to pick what would be best for you, base it on your mobile device requirements. If mobile devices is not your deal, and you have a legacy skydrive account this is the way to go as you can get a total of 45GB of storage for as little as $10/year.

Status
Not open for further replies.