Dropped Acer Aspire 5733-6607, sounds like its on but screen remains black

Acrussell09

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
So about a little over a month after I had my Acer Aspire 5733-6607, I dropped it. :( Ever since it will not work. The little blue power light and the orange charging light work (they are located below the keyboard) and when I turn it on the fan starts you can open the cd drive but the screen remains black it does not beep or anything (but I am pretty sure I had all the sound off). Also the power button itself doesn't illuminate (it's been so long I don't remember if it did). So I tried hooking it up to a couple different monitors (thinking I busted the screen) but they don't recognize the laptop and pushing the function button to switch monitors doesn't do anything. Any advice?

Hooking up the laptop to a monitor will not automatically display anything on the monitor. You need to setup the monitor as either a cloned desktop or extended desktop before anything will be displayed on the monitor. At least that is the case for my Lenovo Y470.

Naturally, if the laptop's screen no longer functions, then there is no way to setup the laptop to use the monitor since you cannot see what you are doing.

Depending on how hard the laptop landed, how it landed (flat on the back / corner of the laptop) and how unlucky you are, there could be damage to both the screen and the motherboard. The only was to determine that is to bring it to a repair technician.

If more than one thing needs replacement, then you should start looking for a new laptop. Excluding labor LCD panels can generally cost $50 to $75 or more. The larger displays / the higher resolution displays the more it will likely cost. Motherboard can probably range between $75 - $150 or more depending on the features.

So at a minimum could be looking at $125 for parts + whatever the labor maybe... perhaps another $75 - $150. I don't know since I never had to repair a laptop before.