DSLR vs Camcorder vs Point and Shoot for daily vlogging

ItsKolapo

Estimable
May 23, 2015
I want to start doing daily vlogs and occasional skits for my YouTube channel. With vlogging I would be recording my daily activities and things I do (Example). I know $500 DSLRs aren't the best for video, but I have seen a lot of YouTubers use a T5i with a RODE videomic go or Canon G7X. After some research I learned the T5i has silent continuous auto focus as long as you have STM lenses. On another forum I was told I should use a camcorder, but they don't seem to have interchangeable lenses, or as good as quality as the DSLRs. I also want a flip out screen so I can see myself while I am vlogging.

I am really just looking for any professional advice or suggestions to finalize what I do.

Solution
In your price range its best to stick with a camcorder for the best quality. Buying a DSLR in that range would be no use unless you're also going to be taking pictures, and not to mention buying a decent lens for it (Other than the kit one) costs as much or more than the camera itself. Camcorders will get you better quality video for the price too with higher frame rates (60-120fps). Like basroil said sticking to Canon and Sony is a good idea, but I'll add in Panasonic too since they make pretty good camcorders for the price.
Unless you know what you are doing, get a camcorder. It's easier to use and will have all the features you need. Right now you are the limiting factor for video quality, so until you learn how to shoot video, don't bother spending more than you need to. There's plenty of camcorders under $250 that will work for you, just stick to Canon and Sony and you'll find something.

BlueFireZ

Estimable
In your price range its best to stick with a camcorder for the best quality. Buying a DSLR in that range would be no use unless you're also going to be taking pictures, and not to mention buying a decent lens for it (Other than the kit one) costs as much or more than the camera itself. Camcorders will get you better quality video for the price too with higher frame rates (60-120fps). Like basroil said sticking to Canon and Sony is a good idea, but I'll add in Panasonic too since they make pretty good camcorders for the price.

Solution

ItsKolapo

Estimable
May 23, 2015

Any suggestions on a camcorder. I would like a wide lens like DSLR's, a mic jack, a swivel screen, and HD video.

Just get an HF 600 from Canon, it's easy to use, has mic jack, movable screen (including 180 degree position), and 1080p60 video

bjornl

Estimable
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Panasonic FZ1000. Which will easily out perform any of the ones mentioned in video quality. The only limitation for your use might be recording length. It can only record 29minutes or so everytime you press the button. That and it has around a 28mm lens at the wide end (so-so, but better than 99.99% of cam-corders)
If you want wider, the Sony rx10 is a little over budget, but is quite a bit wider (24mm vs 28mm = 85.1 vs 74.5 degrees). It has a better lens and allows for a very high bit rate (very high quality video). It is not in your defined budget since a "like new one" is around 600.
If you want as wide as a DSLR and good AF, then get a Panasonic gh3 + lens, but that combo is going to cost you several times your budget (twice at least as wide angle lenses are costly)

The advantage of a DSLR is the sensor size. I would NOT recommend the t5i as the ideal one as it has a poor sensor, but in general they do much better in lower light (lower light = typically well lit indoor room, not a cave). The downsize to a DSLR is that they don't autofocus very well in video. Very slow, lots of hunting. So if you know where you will be sitting, this is not a problem. But if you anticipate moving around some it is much easier to use a mirrorless camera or a bridge camera (like the fz1000 or Sony rx10) or a cam-corder.

ItsKolapo

Estimable
May 23, 2015

Would a mirrorless camera be a good option?

For your budget and goals, a camcorder will be much better. Unless you plan on learning how to properly use a camera, don't bother with SLR and mirrorless interchangables

bjornl

Estimable

It will generally produce better results (depends on which mirrorless and which other camera you might be referring to). But you have to leave room in your budget for a lens in that case.
For example, a used gh3 is 450 (ish) but a nice lens might add just as much to the price. But it is the best all around 1080p video camera.
If you want to know what angles of view you will be using there are calculators for that. Which will tell you what lens(es) you might need.

If you want to stay around your 500ish price and do not need weather sealing then the fz1000 has a full-articulated screen. Consider renting before you buy. If you find a reputable seller (like Amazon.com) you can get a used one in near-new condition for a lot less.
If you want slightly better results, the rx10 combined with some decent lighting will do amazing stuff.