Dual Core or build new computer

chanher

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
I have an extra ATI Radeon 3650 graphics card (can handle 1080p)

I wanted to put this in some old dual core and play 1080p files, Blu Rays and stream Netflix.

I bought a bare bones Dell Optiplex 755 for $20 and sure enough the dumb thing is having all kinds of memory/ mobo issues.

For those more experienced, should I keep messing around with these $20 dual cores, hoping I get one to work, or should plunk down some cash and build a nice compact HTPC?

Thanks so much for your expertise.

Solution
well optiplexes are generally rock solid, and that is why i suggest running, as it takes a lot to mess one up. I have a 745 which has been modified and tweaked so many times, but it still keeps running. generally speaking most old computers are pretty hard to kill, but if you get a bad one, then you are screwed. I would personally get another optiplex, but remember that if it is $20, it probably is trash. expect to pay closer to $50. Old acer and HP computers last pretty well too. I would try to get one with a e6600 or better. a q6600 would be great.

Robert Cook

Honorable
Herald
Dec 15, 2014
you could spend a lot of time on that optiplex. those machines never fail until they fail in my experience, so if it is acting up you might as well sign away your time on it.

option two seems better, or buy a slightly less sketchy pc.

chanher

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014

I've already spent 5 hours on this dumb thing. :fou:

I think I'll research some less sketchy dual cores.

Robert Cook

Honorable
Herald
Dec 15, 2014

yeah, 5 hours is nothing to spend on one.... run while you still can.

chanher

Estimable
Mar 28, 2014
Thanks for all the advice Robert.

I'm thinking I'll hold on to the unit for now as I call around the local shops in Denver, maybe someone has an extra Optiplex mobo for cheap.

I'm gonna ask about cheap bare bones units as well, can anybody recommend some more historically reliable older models?

Robert Cook

Honorable
Herald
Dec 15, 2014
well optiplexes are generally rock solid, and that is why i suggest running, as it takes a lot to mess one up. I have a 745 which has been modified and tweaked so many times, but it still keeps running. generally speaking most old computers are pretty hard to kill, but if you get a bad one, then you are screwed. I would personally get another optiplex, but remember that if it is $20, it probably is trash. expect to pay closer to $50. Old acer and HP computers last pretty well too. I would try to get one with a e6600 or better. a q6600 would be great.

Solution