duplicate partition?

mulletchuck

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
What is the best software for duplicating a partition? I bought a new HD, to replace my tired WD40gb drive, and wish to create an exact copy of it on the new HD, so I can use the new HD as my boot drive. Any thoughts? I've tried using PartitionMagic several times, and it never finishes the copy. I haven't been able to find the log PM generates during operations, so I don't know why it is not completing the "copy partition" process. I'm starting to get frustrated. I've spent about 5 hours trying to duplicate the C: drive on my 40GB onto the new 250GB drive. Mind you, the C: partition is only 7gb. Any thoughts?

chuck

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I use R-Drive Image. So far it has worked perfectly and will cost you around $40

....WW (5.1)

riser

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
I prefer Ghost.. if you can find Ghost.exe you should be able to use a boot disk and just ghost over it.
Or email me (my email is in my profile) and I'll send you the Ghost.exe.. it's like 233kb, fairly small.

You just run Ghost from the command prompt and you can do a disk to disk copy.

Really simple.

mulletchuck

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
what if I want to replace my old 40GB with the new 250GB, but don't want to reinstall the OS, and all of the stuff I have installed. Mind you, I just went through a motherboard swap about a week ago, so I don't want to reinstall everything again, after having a fresh system for a week.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I tried doing that with PowerQuest Drive Image. I restored the image to a different disk and all the hardware was the same except the system hard disk, but for some weird reason it didn't work.
If your windows install is so fresh maybe you should try making an image of it, maybe you'll have more luck than me.

Nothing is as easy as it looks

riser

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Problems happen when using Win XP and hard drives that large. SP2 expanded on that is my understanding. I know there is a reg hack out there to manually add that size of an HD in there.

If you use ghost, it will only ghost over the information and format the remainder of the drive for use. I've never had a problem going to from 10.2gb to 20/40/60/80. I haven't tried to ghost anything over an 80GB hard drive though.

littleberry

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
I have the SAME problem. I am always having to install win98se, and I was hoping to be able to create a good copy right after a fresh install (before any corruption), and then use this backup copy so as to RESTORE my C drive after it gets corrupted. I purchased Copy Commander 9 (30 bucks, V-COM), but it won't do it - blast! I emailed their support but I am holding out no hope. I think I just wasted 30 bucks. If ghost will do what I want - then that is new hope for me - I am really getting tired of having to go through win98se install time and time again. littleberry