BackInBlack

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
I'm trying to burn a DVD using Windows DVD maker in Windows 7 64-bit (Genuine, clean install). I've tried it on both an Acer desktop and an Acer laptop. DVD Maker previously worked on the laptop under Vista, but I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit on that also. The burners work fine on both machines with other programs like CloneDVD, but I can't get it into .vob files required by that program. The file I'm trying to burn was captured in MP4 format (not compatible with WMM) and I've used Format Factory to convert it to WMV format. The file plays fine on the computer in WMP and MediaPlayer Classic (with K-Lite Codec Pack), and it runs fine in the preview screen in Movie Maker. It sets about encoding, then at some point goes to 99% on the status bar, says "Finishing disc. Please wait. 99%" and the gives an error "Cannot create the DVD. An error occurred when burning the DVD."

I've scoured literally dozens of forums and found the problem to be quite common to Vista and Windows 7, but nobody seems to have any solid answers. I've tried nearly ALL of the solutions that have occasionally worked for others, all to absolutely no avail: Switching from +R to -R media, different media brands, disabled autorun for CD/DVD in drive, unchecking codecs in options (only had one), looking for AC3filter to uninstall (only found it one place, in my converter program & assumed it's only used when the program is active; don't HAVE that program on laptop, where it also failed). Seems the only 'real' solution is to use another DVD burning program. This is upsetting because as others have said, "I bought a genuine copy of W7 so I PAID for this program, and in theory, it should WORK." Exactly. :sarcastic:

Anybody have ANY ideas I haven't already tried? Thanks.

nikorr

Distinguished
Use DVD FLick and u will get great results, better than most paid that I have tried.
Use this free one and make sure that u use 2pass convert.

Its simple app but produces great results! And, u don't have to pay for it.

DVD FLick

23mpr7r.jpg

BackInBlack

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

I appreciate the tip & have seen DVD Flick recommended by many, but it sort of misses the point, which was stated near the end of my post:

I don't need to to this very often & hate to load up a bunch of software when W7 has an app that 'theoretically' will do the job--- if only it worked. My GOAL is to solve the puzzle & troubleshoot Windows DVD Maker, not load a new program.

I had nothing else at all running; let this project run and walked away. FYI, tried it today on a friend's gaming PC (quad-core, 8GB RAM). It did *exactly* the same thing---loaded up, encoded, then crapped out at 99% and spit the blank DVD out of the drive. It just did it a LOT faster. :wahoo:

In the end, we converted it to a format Nero liked and used that, but I'd still love to resolve the issue IN Windows DVD Maker.

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished

Did you try converting the MP4 to MPEG2 instead of WMV? WMV is a TERRIBLE intermediate format, and has caused me much grief over the years.

BTW, in my day job I convert video files all the time, and I have found the tool called SUPER to be a very good tool for conversions. . .

BackInBlack

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

Nope, but I might do that and gamble a 20¢ DVD on it (recent trials on the subject project produced two totally blank & reusable R+ and one R- coaster). It'd be fun to either rule that out or be the solution to the problem!

Thanks for the tip on the conversion tool. I used to use a web-based one but it seemed to have quit working and/or the site went down. So far Format Factory is working for me (I think).

When I have time to try the MPEG-2 conversion (maybe on something short like Windows own 'sample' video?) and another run at a DVD burn, I'll report back here.

Edited to add: My favorite format is MP4 (handles stereo music well vs. FLV in mono). The only reason I ever use WMV is if it comes to me that way, and the only time I would ever convert to it is in an attempt to find one of the few "acceptable" formats for Windows Movie Maker and/or DVD Maker (which MP4 sadly is not). Only thing cool about WMV is the preview frame on the icon in Windows. :bounce: