DVD Piracy Rampant on Amazon; Warner Bros Wants Blood

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Azathoth[/nom]Maybe if they stopped charging $35 for 20 minutes of force advertisement people might buy legitimate copies?Seriously, you pirate the movie and you don't get locked into forced advertisements and warnings. You shell out a ridiculous sum and you spend more time watching those then the film.[/citation]

Actually, I enjoy the advertisements.

Usually.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Whats the real crime going on here is the pirates get a better end product than the paying customer, even if we go under the assumption that both parties paid for the product. The person who uses the DVD has ads before they watch the movie and it seems like majority of them now days remove the ability to skip, jump to title/menu and leave you with only fast forward the commercials and than they usually start playing when the next commercial starts. And you have at least 15min worth of ads. Unacceptable for a product you pay for in my opinion.

The pirate, gets the same quality movie. They have no ads and usually just want the movie which is all they get, if they wanted to get the bounus outakes, etc they can get that too but generally don't. Their movies are just that just the movie no ads no nothing, no degregation of quality of audio/video and it just freaking works.

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
[citation][nom]jerm1027[/nom]On the contrary, it does. If prices were reasonable, consumers wouldn't have an interest in pirated content. That doesn't make it right, but corporate greed is fueling consumer interest in pirated content.[/citation]

If you actually read the article, you'd notice that these customers didn't know they were buying fakes. I'm sure if they knew, they wouldn't pay for it. If someone was knowing going to purchase stolen software/media/etc, why in hell would they pay for it? Honestly though, that hippie attitude of "prices are toooo hiiiiighhhh, maaaaaaan" is no means of justification for being a down right thief. Big corporation or single mother, it doesn't matter who you're stealing off of, theft is theft.

Grow up or get the hell off the Internet.

randomizer

Distinguished
This is not piracy, this is the sale of counterfeit goods which is a much more serious issue. Pirates can always use the excuse that they wouldn't have bought it anyway, so the copyright owner has lost nothing. These people did buy something and so the copyright owner has lost money that they would have made if the purchase was for a legitimate copy.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i bought an anime blu ray a while ago.
blu ray case is flimzy
the bluray itself has about 3 minutes of adds alone that cant be skipped.
full metal panic fumufu

thanks to the crappy bluray experiance, i will never buy an anime on disc again... though i would most likely buy a pirate coppy if i knew it was pirate, at least they wont have the ads.

hay, movie people, any of you reading this. if i PAY for a disc, PAY for the movie, I SHOULD NOT have unskipable ads, if you want ads to be unskipable, i should get this for FREE not 30$ for a season, or 20-30$ a sub 2 hour movie.

put the ads in special features, i go through them later on, but i refuse to buy a forced ad out of pure spite.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Didn't see it mentioned anywhere but my opinion is this.

Bits & Bytes that are COPIED are not "stolen" they are COPIED!

If I duplicate a Ferrari (FOR PERSONAL USE) why should that be against the law? If I have the supplies to make something (or copy) then why the hell would I give my money to buy the real thing if there's no difference?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]madjimms[/nom]Didn't see it mentioned anywhere but my opinion is this.Bits & Bytes that are COPIED are not "stolen" they are COPIED! If I duplicate a Ferrari (FOR PERSONAL USE) why should that be against the law? If I have the supplies to make something (or copy) then why the hell would I give my money to buy the real thing if there's no difference?[/citation]

Because they can't make money off it then :D If it'd be possible with real objects, the rage would be a million times stronger since then everybody could just have what they want.

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]madjimms[/nom] If I duplicate a Ferrari (FOR PERSONAL USE) why should that be against the law?[/citation]

That analogy is irrelevant to this situation, since these copies weren't for personal use. A better analogy would be that you "duplicated" the Ferrari using some spare parts and a bit of duct tape and sold it for half the price of a real one.

PiraticaL

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Good luck getting all the molds and equipment they use. Do they really think they'll be able to get their hands on all that on top of everything else in the lawsuit?

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Apparently most people never read the article, but these are ACTUAL pirates doing this for PROFIT, not kids trying to get a few free movies. These are actual content thieves profiting off other people's work, and they do deserve to get punished. Let's see if you like going to work and having someone else get the pay you worked for (Uncle Sam not included).

BTW, the whole whine whine ads and I don't like the extra stuff is meaningless garbage spouted to try and justify your cheapness. Buy the movie legitly then rip it down to an ad free disc, problem solved. You still have to pay for things in life. I really don't even know what you're talking about however, the only ads I've ever seen on a DVD are the previews for other movies and I actually enjoy watching them. Maybe you meant the FBI warning, I guess your attention span doesn't last more than 30 seconds.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]That analogy is irrelevant to this situation, since these copies weren't for personal use. A better analogy would be that you "duplicated" the Ferrari using some spare parts and a bit of duct tape and sold it for half the price of a real one.[/citation]
People watching a torrented movie/show isn't personal use? I'm not arguing that selling ones are real is dishonest & rude, but if you don't make people pay then how could this cause harm?

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]madjimms[/nom]People watching a torrented movie/show isn't personal use?[/citation]
People selling counterfeit DVDs on Amazon is not personal use. That is the situation which this article is talking about, so debate about whether or not torrenting content is theft or copyright infringement, or whether the viewing of torrented content is personal use or not, is irrelevant.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]nullifier[/nom]That's poor logical reasoning, if that is the case, than that essentially vindicates any type of theft because the individual doesn't have the funds to pay for it. Do I think the record labels make way too much of the artist's work? Yes. Digital albums are more than affordable and you can pick and choose songs from albums - not a bad system.[/citation]

Digital album costing the same as jewel case raises questions "how is the price they are asking me determined?" Not only are we talking about monopolists and not only is "monopoly" another (original) word for copyright, but nobody remembers, why the copyright was invented in the first place. And, mind you, it was NOT to protect some corporations, it was for public benefit: creator of some content had limited time monopoly over his/her creation, which should have motivated people to create more. (I'm not sure Mozart would care though, but let's assume they were right)

In EU mentioned monopoly rights (aka "copyright") lasted for 50 years. And one nice corporation has discovered, that, OMG, it wouldn't be able to sell Elvis' music for money anymore! So what's the solution? They've talked nicely to nice polititions. Viola "motivation" for artists/musicians to create their work is proloned to a 100 years.

Sounds just and reasonable, eh?

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]In EU mentioned monopoly rights (aka "copyright") lasted for 50 years. And one nice corporation has discovered, that, OMG, it wouldn't be able to sell Elvis' music for money anymore! So what's the solution? They've talked nicely to nice polititions. Viola "motivation" for artists/musicians to create their work is proloned to a 100 years. Sounds just and reasonable, eh?[/citation]

When that happened in the US, it was largely backed by Disney because he copyright on Steamboat Willie was almost up. Those aware of the incident call them the "Mickey Mouse Extensions"

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
There's one thing I didn't get from the article... are they advertising themselves as pirates, or do the customers think they're buying genuine material?

spat55

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I dislike when you buy a film at the beginning you get around 5 minutes of warnings, then about 5 minutes of ads, if I have just brought it, then why am I seeing this? Another things is that I can see the series on TV, yet when I go to buy the boxset, it costs me £100!!!

spat55

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]There's one thing I didn't get from the article... are they advertising themselves as pirates, or do the customers think they're buying genuine material?[/citation]

This too, I didn't read the artical to hard but couldn't find that...

G

Children, what we are talking about is counterfeit pressed DVDs coming from Asia. This is not a selling region or authorized reseller issue. This is a factory in China making lousy DVD copies and selling them in America issue. The DVDs are being sold as the real thing, but have much poorer quality and really aren't being sold for much cheaper than the real product on Amazon.

Amazon is lousy with counterfeit product being sold by third party vendors, especially Warner Brothers/HBO and CBS box sets of DVDs. I know because I've accidentially bought 5 of the damn things and then had to deal with shady people in trying to get a refund. The sellers I have dealt with know they are selling counterfeits too.

On every set, the exterior boxes look good, but the DVDs inside have the files compressed down so they will fit on a single layer disc and look and sound pretty bad. The DVDs are also region free, which is a dead giveaway. Now, I only will buy used product from resellers on Amazon I trust and know have physical locations like Hastings, Jimicks/Buybacks, Family Video, etc. With them, you are unlikely to get a bootleg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS