DVD ripping: iso, avi, or mp4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benbrockn

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Hello, I was wanting to rip my DVDs to my hard drive and dispose of all of my disks. What I wanted to know was what is the best format?

I want amazing quality, the ability to play on my laptop (don't care if can't play on smart phone, if it can, sweet, if not whatever), and the ability to easily burn back on a dvd to play in a dvd player. I was using dvd decrypter and might use imgburn or handbrake.

I heard I could make an iso file, but what programs out there can play it (free ones)? or should I just go with avi or mp4?

Thanks,
-Ben

Solution
20111027191017.gif

nikorr

Distinguished
Are u gonna play it on the TV? Than use WD TV Live, it is the best solution for long term solution and u don't need DVD player, just that little box. It plays music and show pics.

U can rip it to the 1.5GB/per 90minutes ratio and have a perfect quality, that looks great on 90 inch tv.

Use Handbrake and get great results. No need for DVD disc anymore.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136593
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136831&Tpk=WD%20TV%20Live%20Hub

benbrockn

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

-------------------------

Thanks, which format should I rip it to though if I wanted to go through the WD Tv route? (Using Handbrake I assume?)

Also, how do you set up the 1.5GB/per 90 minutes on Handbrake?

nikorr

Distinguished

Anything like avi,mp4, but mp4 or mkv is the best quality. I do mkv.

Whats the spec of your system, CPU and RAM? It depends on the system speed, if u don't want to wait too long for it to encode.

nikorr

Distinguished
Set it to 165MB for every 10 min. 1650MB for 100min and so on... for 5.1 sound

Set it to 150MB for every 10 min. 1500MB for 100min and so on... for 2.0 sound

Of course u can experiment, the quality is subjective and personal.

brucew0617

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
I think you can rip your DVD as AVI format because I heard some MP4 videos can not playback well in WD TV, Just keep the resolution do not above 720*480 because this is the max resolution of DVD, otherwise your video quality will gonna bad. I used Leawo DVD ripper before, it's my second choice beside handbrake.

nikorr

Distinguished

Hi brucew0617

.avi is not crisp and sharp and detail is gone in the same size.

No problems with newer firmware. Plays anything fine.

And I am sure the new wireless one is fine too.

Well, I never had a problem.

benbrockn

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

Thanks for your help nikorr. Step-by-Step instructions were more than I was expecting.

Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.