DVD to receiver to smart tv - no sound only video

Jul 15, 2018
I’m trying to hook up my DVD player to my LG 43UK6500 thru Oknyo receiver. I get the picture but no sound. The receiver is hooked up to tv on hdmi3. I’m just using analog cables for the sound from dvd to the receiver (optical from receiver to tv). I’m sure I’m attaching the sound cables wrong. Could use some guidance! The tv works fine for Netflix and other apps. Just could use guidance on the dvd sound. Thanks!

Solution
Connect the DVD directly to the TV and the audio from it will go to the receiver with the same optical cable you already use for the apps. You don't need the HDMI from the receiver to the TV except to see the menu system of the receiver.
Plan B would be to connect the DVD player (HDMI would be best) to the receiver and use the HDMI connection from the receiver to the TV to get the video to the TV. Check the receiver manual. You may need to configure the input.
Connect the DVD directly to the TV and the audio from it will go to the receiver with the same optical cable you already use for the apps. You don't need the HDMI from the receiver to the TV except to see the menu system of the receiver.
Plan B would be to connect the DVD player (HDMI would be best) to the receiver and use the HDMI connection from the receiver to the TV to get the video to the TV. Check the receiver manual. You may need to configure the input.

Solution