Dynaudio BM5a's

erick

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2004
206
0
18,830
0
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I got a chance to briefly audition a set of Dynaudio BM5a's today. I was
curious if anyone has had a chance to listen to these, and what they
thought. I would be curious to compare impressions.

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi Eric,

What were your impressions?

I just got a pair and listened for a couple hours tonight. So far I'm very
impressed and pleased. Initial subjective pros / cons :

Pros :
so far sounds very balanced across the frequency range.
I seem to be perceiving a little more 'depth' in the music compared to my
other speakers ( KRK V8, V88 - Tannoy PBM 6.5 ) It' sort of subtle and I'm
worried that I may be looking for 'goodness' to justify the purchase price
but . . . .
impressive low end from such a small box
bass is reasonably tight, punchy and extended, not muddy or boomy on most
things I listened to
mids and highs seem solid and non-hyped for the most part
build quality is excellent ( with one exception - see below )
sounds good and detailed at fairly low volumes
is more than loud enough for small rooms
under $1000 street price

Cons :
Occasionally sounded a hair 'boxy' on some material. On a couple different
vocalists ( Natalie Merchant Tiger Lilly in particular ) and once on a lead
guitar
the option switches on the back are very small and seem a little flimsy.
They don't snap into all positions evenly

Neutral :
another subjective term 'focused' comes to mind. music tends to sound more
focused on the BM5A's. on some material I liked that better than the way my
other speakers sounded, and visa versa . . .
the way the shipping boxes were sealed was a little odd/surprising. The top
flaps weren't taped at all. Each flap covered the entire area of the top
and all flaps were folded over each other and then a single nylon banding
strap was wrapped around the box. Maybe this method has advantages over the
usual plastic tape. hhhmmm

Over all a VERY nice speaker and I think it will be giving speakers in the
$800 to $1200 per pair price range some stiff competition.

John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com


"EricK" <eric@Raw-Tracks.com> wrote in message
news:2v0aplF2filnrU1@uni-berlin.de...
> I got a chance to briefly audition a set of Dynaudio BM5a's today. I was
> curious if anyone has had a chance to listen to these, and what they
> thought. I would be curious to compare impressions.
>
> --
> Eric
>
> www.Raw-Tracks.com
 

erick

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2004
206
0
18,830
0
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

John L Rice wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> What were your impressions?

The low end really bothered me. I found them to be somewhat "tubby" and
"flappy" on the low end. Just seemed like they overcompensated on the
low end. I only listened with the dip switches in their flat positions.
Maybe if I would have used a little low-cut, they would have been better.

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <2vh826F2kbekoU1@uni-berlin.de>, EricK <eric@Raw-Tracks.com> wrote:
>John L Rice wrote:
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> What were your impressions?
>
>The low end really bothered me. I found them to be somewhat "tubby" and
>"flappy" on the low end. Just seemed like they overcompensated on the
>low end. I only listened with the dip switches in their flat positions.
>Maybe if I would have used a little low-cut, they would have been better.

That sounds like a placement problem. Try pulling them away from the wall
a bit more.

Don't even think of soffit-mounting these...
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
 

erick

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2004
206
0
18,830
0
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> That sounds like a placement problem. Try pulling them away from the wall
> a bit more.
>
> Don't even think of soffit-mounting these...
> --scott
>

They were actually in quite a large room. I would say they were a good
10-15 feet away from the walls. The overall room was probably about
20x35x18. I was about 12 feet away from the monitors. The monitors were
on speaker stand. This is about as "free-field" as you could get.

I don't think the room was the problem. Have you heard the monitors Scott?
--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <2vitgoF2km677U1@uni-berlin.de>, EricK <eric@Raw-Tracks.com> wrote:
>Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
>> That sounds like a placement problem. Try pulling them away from the wall
>> a bit more.
>>
>> Don't even think of soffit-mounting these...
>
>They were actually in quite a large room. I would say they were a good
>10-15 feet away from the walls. The overall room was probably about
>20x35x18. I was about 12 feet away from the monitors. The monitors were
>on speaker stand. This is about as "free-field" as you could get.

That sounds like it may actually have been too _far_ from the wall, then.
I could see this reducing the extension and making them sound a little
flabby.

>I don't think the room was the problem. Have you heard the monitors Scott?

Yes, and I thought the bottom end was a little exaggerated, but not puffy or
out of control. The bottom end was certainly a lot more solid than the KRK
stuff.

The room is always a problem. Maybe not _the_ problem, but always _a_
problem.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> The room is always a problem. Maybe not _the_ problem, but always _a_
> problem.
> --scott

Amen Scott.....

DaveT
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY