Dynaudio excite x12 - ohm/receiver question.

Lastbil

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
So i recently got these speakers that im going to use as fronts, and im currently looking for a receiver for a 4.1 system, that i will use for gaming, movies but mostly music.

i have some questions.. might be a bit goofy but oh well.

1. Ive read that an 8ohm setting on the receiver is optimal even tho my speakers are 4 ohm. True False? What ohm should i set the receiver too, if i even can do that.

2. On my speakers it says "Max power handling (watts) 100."
So if i for example get Onkyo TX-NR515, that puts in more watts then that, what will happen, will excess power damage the speakers or transistors in the receiver? Should i aim for a less powerfull receiver?

3. What receiver would YOU get with these speakers (+Velodyne sub, and 2 small cambridge rear satellites) in the below 590euro (471£) priceclass?

1. Most receivers do not have a setting for the impedance but they do have a compatibility issue in how well they will drive the speakers if at all. If you have 4 ohm speakers look for a receiver that gives power rating into 4 ohms. The closer this figure is to 2x the 8 ohm figure the more capable and better sounding the receiver will be with the speakers.
2. The power handling given is a general guide. Don't forget to use the power rating at 4 ohms as your guide. Better to have a bit too much than not enough as this will cause the receiver to clip and the distortion when that happens can damage the tweeter over time.
3. Since you are talking surround sound take a listen to NAD, Marantz and Cambridge Audio. All three pay attention to sound first. Check out dealers that carry Dynaudio speakers and see what receiver they suggest.

Lastbil

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Ah thanks, this cleared things up as i was searching like mad for an ohm setting on my current soon-to-be-replaced marantz sr5200. #facepalm.

Sure, NAD is music first and its a quality brand, but it seems very lackluster in functions no network, no usb and no Audyssey-room correction, stuff like that. And tbh ill probably play console-games almost as much as im going to listen to music, so i still need it to be great at that.
Rotel is out of my price-range. Im currently lookin at the new line-up of Marantz, not so sure about Cambridge but i will research. Also had a glance at Onkyo and its alot of bang for the buck, functions and power, but something about that brand seems unreliable/shady.

Iam however leaning towards a Yamaha RX-V673,
But just to make sure lets have a look at the wattage/ohm on the RX-V673:

"Effect in 4ohm per channel, RMS 200 W 150W @ 4ohms, 0,9% THD (1kHz, 1ch driven)"
"Effect in 8ohm per channel, RMS 130 W 90W @ 8ohms, 0,09% THD (20hz-20kHz, 2ch driven)"

So this is copypasted. But if i understood things you explained correctly these are good numbers for my 'Excite x12s' (4ohm, max power handling 100w) Or is it not? Maybe i should get the "little brother" to this one.

All feedback is welcome :)

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
150W 4 ohms at 1khz is pretty deceiving. You realize the test tone is only 1 frequency, 1 channel. That thing might hit 150W if it got hit by lightning. The biggest piece of an AVR the manufacturer hides is the power supply information. Matching a $1200 pair of speakers with a $300 receiver just isn't going to yield amazing results. After thumbing through Stereophile's review, this speaker has a 84.8 DB sensitivity, which is low. You need quite a bit more oomph to get these things to stretch their legs. Here's a short exerp from their review:

This speaker will work better with relatively high-powered amplifiers, such as the Creek integrated and Audio Research power amp BJR used for his auditioning. However, while Dynaudio specifies the X12 as having a nominal 4 ohm impedance, its plot of impedance magnitude and phase (fig.1) reveals that it doesn't drop below 6 ohms, and then only in the lower midrange, when it reaches a minimum value of 4.8 ohms—which, like the combination of 6.6 ohms and 30° capacitive phase angle at 125Hz, will not tax any well-designed amplifier.

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/dynaudio_excite_x12_loudspeaker/index.html

I'm certainly not knocking your choice in speakers, hell, the contour 3.3 is one of my favorites. I think you're selling yourself short with a cheap AVR.

Edit: Higher end manufacturers don't generally put more of the bells and whistles into their products, they focus more on sound quality, build quality, and quality of sound than the extras. There are some exceptions, but at lower price points, you end up trading one for the other.

Lastbil

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Ok, yea i realize thats its gonna cost to get these to play to their full potential, especially since i want with a surround receiver and not a stereo.
Althou im spending more then 300$, i can spend up to a 1000$ maybe even 1200$ if its alot better.
And thats where i need guidance. So i guess the yamaha is out.. Ill keep looking:)

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
I would check the suggestions AA had, i'd look into denon's CI line, the 3313CI, or 2313CI. These will give you a good mix of Features/Power. The 3313CI for example is 125W all channels driven @ 6 ohms (which your speakers will typically run at according to the review). That's a good stat. You would be fully using your speakers.

Here's probably what i'd REALLY look at in your situation. The Emotiva UMC-1 and Emotiva UPA-500. The Pre-Amp is current tech, and you get the massive benefit of running separates ( separating the digital components from the power supply, separating the amplification stage from the preamp stage, dedicate current for the amp/preamp, etc etc). The UPA-500 Is rated at 80w @ 8 Ohm, and 125w @ 4. Your speakers running at 6 would land somewhere in the middle of that, 95-105W. That's good, solid clean power by a solid external power amplifier. It's the best of both worlds. All for under $900 USD with their current $200 off the Preamp.

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/umc1

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/upa500