EA Asks: Do We Need Another Console Generation?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
I don't think they need a new console until the newer resolution tvs come out, and people start buying them. Content would have to be in higher resolution too.

As its stands not many tv broadcasts have made it to 1080p most stuck at 1080i/720p,640p. So its going to take a long time. Also internet is finally fast enough to stream 1080p movies. So internet has to play catch up too, so higher resolution movies can be streamed.

So even if a few gamers want a faster console, it would be pointless.

I would like to see SSDs comming to consoles. It seems like more and more, content will be downloadable, and most consoles use crappy laptop 5400rpm hard drives.

I am happy with my xbox 360, and think its too soon to buy a new console. At the resolution people have their displays at, a new console would be like 200fps, but whats the point when limited to 60fps. I see no slow downs on my 360 in any games. (except the hard drive).
THe dvd games can be dumped to HDD to avoid wait times. Does the xbox 360 need a better media then DVD, well yes, but more and more games will be downloadable, so thats pointless. I can already download and really quick speeds from Live.

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
That's funny. Games on 360 and PS3 are not even 1080p, some are not even 720p, but upscaled. With people like this, advancement in technology will be SLOW. Very good reason why PC gaming should be kept alive - keep pushing things to the limit. I just can't imagine if Nintendo was still the big company, we'd be stuck with 480p. Good thing EA havent looked at getting into hardware - YET.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Why do we need new consoles? Well, can any console game today output true (not upscaled) 1080p resolution at 60fps? How about all the tricks DX11 brings to the table? So, yes we do need a new generation or three after this one.

I think what EA really wants is for everyone to go to the OnLive model. You know the one where people pay full price for a game, yet retain no ownership or control of that product at all.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]aside from graphics, and heavy physics game play, current consolse are good enough, and its on developers to make the gameplay and story better, not amount of new hardware will help them in those reguards.people who care about gameplay, generally don't care about graphics. we dont want tech demos, we want fun games. point is good. we hit an area where pushing more pollies doesn't matter, people cant tell the difference even if you dubble it . see resistance 1 and 2 as an example. i personaly dont want a new console generation until full world tessellation is possible. if we came out with a new gen now, what would it do? it would look like a 1080p version of what we have now, and probably better textures, and more advanced lighting, and thats it. if we want that tech jump we have to wait, because who wants to spend 600ish$ every 4-5 years when the leap in tech isnt there? i dont want a console to baby step i want it to take one large step or none at all. tell me pc gamers, right now, what makes a pc game look better than a console? its not the polliesits textures, lighting and minimal tessellation, and we are talking about tech that takes 2 gpus minimum to push out at playable 1920x1080 resolution. im done because i know this will fall on deaf ears and be downvoted because no one here actually understands this beyond "pc is newer hardware, consoles are old".... i souldnt say understands, i should say will talk about it beyond that.[/citation]
It's your ignorance that's getting you down voted, not everyone else's.

bigcatface

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
to be honest i don't think the majority of people would care if there was no new iteration, graphics are at the point now where any improvements are marginal and hardly noticable without magnification specs.
are you PC fanboys really so caught up on graphics? with the amount of shit i hear about how much modern warefare r00lz on the PC cause the graphics are great i guess it must be the truth. that's your prerogative i guess, but us majority (and big hint: where the money is) don't care if every pixel isn't superhighmega definition.

my favourite game is mario kart. it wouldn't be a better game if it was rendered in high definition.

fightingslu

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
I would bet that a lot of the people who say that gaming PC's are to expensive would have no problem paying $700 dollars for an iPad 2- and then play angry birds on it and talk about how great a game it is.(one of my friends did excatly this)

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]Sigh... there should be a requirement of at least a basic understanding of the differences between console and PC gaming before anyone posts a comparison. Yes, if you tried to run a PC game on the same grade of hardware that a PS3/360 has, it would suck. PS3 only has 256 MB of RAM! Try even running Windows with that. Consoles get away with it because they can develop the graphics to directly interface with the graphics cards, since they don't have to worry about everyone having a different card model. For PC gaming, they have to go through the DirectX interface for absolutely everything, which slows it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down. Not to say DirectX is bad, but it's the price paid for having the choice between hundreds of different graphics cards to choose from.Summary: yes, the raw hardware in consoles is very old, but with the way console games can be developed, it's more than they'll ever need.Obligatory car analogy:Consoles are a 1990 Honda Accord. Still goes strong, gets you around as quickly as you need.PCs are a Dodge Ram 3500, with 650 ft-lbs of torque, towing that 2-ton trailer we call an operating system.They both get where they need to go, and each just as fast as the other. The difference is that one is high powered and the other is just-right powered. Yet their speed is the same.[/citation]

Dude almost every single consumer computer from my nokia 1600 to a XBOX 360 to an ipod shuffle to a $3000 super bad-a$$ gaming PC needs an OS.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
This attitude of "this is good enough" is what would eventually kill the tech industry, I fear. There's always a way to do things better, faster or prettier.

anony2004

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]That era has come to an end and the next generation of consoles won't manage to keep up with desktop PCs anymore.[/citation]
Couldn't agree more...

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
EA/DICE are releasing BF3, a game that has deliberately been hampered on consoles to acheive decent FPS. While PC is getting a much better version. So how can EA, the publisher of this game, say that current gen consoles aren't holding them back?

They are just greedy and want to make games as cheap as possible, and are happy with the market penetration of PS3 and 360.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]That's true; but explain one thing, then: Why do the graphics still suck and all games have to be in 720p to provide some playable fps? Why is that when I compare Mass Effect 2 for the PC and for the 360, the former looks like it's a totally different, far superior game? (Hell, it is!)Because, despite the direct interaction with the hardware, the hardware limit HAS been reached, no matter what lies they spread. They can talk about how it has not been reached and keep providing crappy graphics, or they can supply us with a new generation of these pathetic excuses for a gaming platform and stop embarrassing themselves even more.[/citation]

Actually, its not true, its bat-shit stupid.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
[citation][nom]Clob[/nom]Actually, its not true, its bat-shit stupid.[/citation]

It didn't capture the previous quote. I agree with phantom

G

I have been dreaming of a new Xbox because everything seems dated now. I have never been one wanting new consoles all the time but xbox has it's time it's time for bigger and better.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]EA saying we dont need new consoles... surprise suprise, from a company that loves to recycle everything...how much time did u put in the new madden, EA, what a whole weekend?[/citation]
How long does it really take to shift player names around in the game? A few hours?

[citation][nom]bigcatface[/nom]boohoo! the obvious solution for moany PC users is to not compulsively buy every iteration of hardware. don't spend thousands on a PC that you will never use![/citation]
wow....must suck to be you... Some of us actually do make full use of our hardware.

G

graphics capabilities and even processing power of both systems can't fully support what artists and developers are capable of producing. that said, most of these big game development studios are content with delivering the current experience because they don't have to invest a whole bunch of money on true to life graphics and accurate physics models. since they're all stuck on the same platform there's an upper bound of what they can achieve, which is pretty good, and which they are content with delivering because there isn't competition out there doing something better. really it just takes one of them to step up to the plate with a better offering of even the mid-range capabilities of what PCs can do today and the other will be required to follow suit because developers and artists will utilize the additional memory and processing power. Whether or not sony and micro$oft do this is questionable... they could reach a mutual understanding that competition idoesn't help either of them, the Wii-U has really good hardware specs but not enough to blow sony/m$ out of the water so there won't be much pressure from nintendo this time around, narrowing the competitive field.

What they should do instead is release a version of the xbox or ps3 whose cooling capacity can actually withstand some of the more intense games, and maybe start using something other than the lowest quality solder money can buy so these consoles have a life span that's longer than 3 years before rrod/ylod.

Status
Not open for further replies.