EA Asks: Do We Need Another Console Generation?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]You've been terribly misinformed.
1) You don't need to upgrade every two months. In fact, you can get a PC that will serve you for 3 years and will deliver much superior gaming experience. Yeah, it'll cost more, for the same reason a sports car costs more than a family van. Also, if you're mad on the idea of saving money, you can get a gaming PC for as low as $400 and it'll still be better than any console... Hell, if I ask around, I'll probably find enough mobos and CPUs/GPUs for FREE to build a few PCs each if which will be better than consoles in gaming!
2) Updating drivers... let me just say my grandma could do it. Too simple, plus you don't even need to do it that often.
3) Launch Steam (or whatever the hell you're using), click Play. Not even a disk needed.
4) Not to mention PCs can do a million of other things consoles can't...
5) We have a mouse and therefore can aim properly[/citation]

so true man. Also, one funny fact is that every person I know that has bough a PS3, or Xbox360 since it came has had to replace them both since both consoles died. The xbox 360 had the red ring of death and the PS3 the so called Yellow Light of dead, so add another $300 or $400 to the cost. Plus $60 for the games + tax. Really, anyone who says PC gaming is expensive doesn't know what he's talking about. Steam deals lets you buy games for the price of a fast food meal or less! And the best thing about building your own PC is that you get quality component with Limited Lifetime Warranties!, so my PSU died after a major storm and it only cost me like $12 to ship and I was back up gaming in about 2 weeks.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
He speaks the truth. EA game graphics suck. If you're going to create Tetris, maybe change the colors of the bricks every year, you don't really need a better console. That's EA's business strategy with all their sports games. Same sh*it, different year.

Thank God 2K is taking over the basketball franchise and obliterating them.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
He speaks the truth. EA game graphics suck. If you're going to create Tetris, maybe change the colors of the bricks every year, you don't really need a better console. That's EA's business strategy with all their sports games. Same sh*it, different year.

Thank God 2K is taking over the basketball franchise and obliterating them.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]hanrak[/nom]I think its worse that you have written what amounts to a pointless, slightly snotty and wrong summation of what people are saying here. Do you honestly think people here, PC owners at that don't understand that these mega corporations care about anything other than the dollar? Of course they understand their business logic, they are simply pointing this affects PC gaming in a negative way.Your other point about people taking this too seriously as there are people starving is also rubbish. PCs/PC Gaming is many peoples main hobby here. I give to charity and do some charity work as im sure others do so I will not feel guilty for being passionate about something I spend alot of time doing and I care for. If you really think about it, its a pretty stupid place to come out with that.Your final paragraph makes absolutely no sense so i cant comment on it.[/citation]

Since you're struggling understanding much of anything, including English, I'll sum it up. First, don't act like you're the voice of the people, you're barely literate yourself, and to think you know more about what people are saying than they do, is absurdly stupid.

People take their games too seriously, and whine that the world isn't fair to them if they don't get better this or that. It's idiotic, not that you'd be able to see it, being one of them. Take it in perspective when complaining. People aren't eating (and it's so easy to say you're contributing to charities, but in your case, I'll remind you Taco Bell isn't a charity), and they're dealing with it. Not having a better game because of a console shouldn't elicit so much emotion or hostility, unless you're a maladjusted twit that thinks the world owes him or her something.

And no, the posts don't understand Sony isn't going to release a console so their games are better. If you could read, you'd see most people are complaining Sony should so their PC games are better. This isn't Sony's motivation, at all. They'll do it when it makes financial sense, even if it causes horrible suffering to the Zargon slayers because they're not getting quite the resolution on the PCs they need to.

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom].Graphics will always push consoles unless they figure out a way to swap them out for a fairly cheap $50 price which I doubt they could do.[/citation]

AMD has figured out a way to put DirectX 11 graphics into a CPU, so I'd imagine they could use this technology to fit a graphics card upgrade into a flash drive sized device that could plug into the back of consoles.

It would be nice if they could make the device USB 2.0, so no modification of the console would be necessary. It could even be possible for them to put several apps on the device to allow different consoles to utilize the graphics card upgrade. This could make the graphics card upgrade available for Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, and PC. One device for all the major platforms, would reduce costs and could ensure the products viability as being a gaming necessity.

Obviously this is just a rough idea, because USB 2.0 is probably not capable of providing data transfer speeds necessary for increasing detail or frame rates, but it would be a good place to start since all current gen gaming systems have USB 2.0 ports.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]First, don't act like you're the voice of the people, you're barely literate yourself, and to think you know more about what [/citation]

Nope he is the voice of the people and you are not. Accept the fact. And insulting people makes you the kind of person that you are claiming he is.

Now that the above point is addressed; my 360 is a fireplace decoration that even the grandkids, ages 5 to 10 won't touch because the graphics suck. Of course they have 5 mainstream PCs at our house and a couple at theirs to play on so they are a little spoiled.

Inferior graphics ruins your optic nerve and causes your brain to rot, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Lamiel

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]The 360 does not have crappy graphics. It has outstanding DirectX 9 graphics. YOu can't compare a DX9 machine to current DX11 PC hardware.So far as the Xbox 360 is concerned, and the PS3, neither of them have reached full potential. But that's because developers have mainly created games that can be ported across multiple systems, as as such, must hold back on delivering full-featured games.First-party exclusive console games generally are amazing and beautiful on the consoles, because they are built for the specific consoles.EA is a port-a-holic developer. They never cater to a specific console. They spread their crap across everything that has a circuit board in it and water it down like crazy.[/citation]
I'm sorry, but both the 360 and the PS3 have crappy graphics. There is nothing outstanding about the visuals on either machine. Horrible, horrible, horrible. The lack of anti-aliasing is like nails on a chalkboard and the textures look like someone just colored on my TV screen with crayons. And I don't even have to compare their graphics to a new dx11-running PC. My old Core2 machine running a 256MB 8600GTS in dx9 mode stomped all the hell over the best graphics I've ever seen out of a console.

G

360 does have crappy graphics, its crappy because its pretty low poly. dx9 or dx11 has nothing to do with it, it just cant push enough polys to not be crappy.

Im tried of stagnation in game graphics because of the old crappy consoles. The current hardware is capable of a WAY WAY more then what we have in the consoles right now.

jdwii

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
So far as the Xbox 360 is concerned, and the PS3, neither of them have reached full potential. But that's because developers have mainly created games that can be ported across multiple systems, as as such, must hold back on delivering full-featured games

Funny Microsoft said they pushed the 360 to their limit with Gears of war 3, Also You can tell the 360 is being pushed to hard because games skip a lot on it. In today's world their really is know GOOD reason for games to be locked at 30FPS. Also AA and AF should always be close to max out and Consoles should always be able to pump out good textures in 1080P. I feel the Processor in the PS3 is not maxed out but that's because the 360 is holding it back a little. I Don't trust Consoles that much besides Nintendo, I feel Sony and Microsoft rip people off so i don't like either of them that's why i got rid of my 360 and got a Great computer that can play anything. And for 600$ you can build a Beast of a gaming machine thinks to the competitiveness of Nvidia/Amd.

60$ for a game is stupied the PC has lots of great games for 20$ or less. Even some 3 year-old games cost 60$ still on 360 and PS3. I got Godfather 1 the game for 8$ on Amazon new it cost 30$ still at Gamestop for the 360 and it's a 5 year-old game. RIPOFF

People take their games too seriously, and whine that the world isn't fair to them if they don't get better this or that. It's idiotic, not that you'd be able to see it, being one of them. Take it in perspective when complaining. People aren't eating (and it's so easy to say you're contributing to charities, but in your case, I'll remind you Taco Bell isn't a charity), and they're dealing with it. Not having a better game because of a console shouldn't elicit so much emotion or hostility, unless you're a maladjusted twit that thinks the world owes him or her something.

Stop thinking People on a TEC site is going to say New tech does not matter or not to take Involution Seriesly. GTFO

flybri

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Looks like Mr. Gibeau didn't see Epic's most recent tech demo at GDC 2011. It ran on current hardware, and looked insane. And yes, while it was using an extremely fast tri-SLI setup, Epic even stated that this is what could run on a next-gen console in the near future. Epic wants to push the industry forward to next-gen consoles due to the fact it's been pretty stagnant. I'm sorry, but IMO, Gibeau sounds pretty ignorant. Oh wait, but it all make sense now. No need for any real improvements in consoles mimics EA when it comes to their view on their own sports games, ie Madden and NBA Live/Elite.

szymek

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
He said they haven't used full potential? Or was it I who read it wrong? How many games I've seen on PS3 that were lagging? Plenty of them, PS3 and Xbox 360 is waaaaay outdated and because of that game programmers do not squeeze everything they can out of graphical engines and we PC gamers suffer from s*itty quality. I don't think there is much to introduce on consoles but improving what is today is a way to go. Components in consoles should already be able to use dx11 and tessellation and display everything in 1080p 3d.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Right now our consoles are good for another couple of years. There really is no need to upgrade right now. Besides the state of the economy there is also the casual gamer market that is getting bigger and bigger than hard core gaming.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Hot post..

I think the answer to that is a yes, and everybody knows.Not sure the ps3,maybe yes,because of what was going on with crysis 2. but the xbox360 definately. I noticed the lack of power playing halo reach in some levels the fps will go down as hell and the newest games are getting powerful engines, lol the xbox360 is still using HD-DVDs which it was doing well untill now. Anyway,both need to get replaced with better hardware.

I got a ps3 to fix..for overheating..

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
lol..."I don't see consumers right now banging on the walls for a new platform," is this what people should be doing?? get a grip!!

G

The xbox 360 has a radeon x1950 , the ps3 has a geforce 7800. Both of these gpus are extremely outdated by current standards and to say that they aren't is a bold faced lie.

G

The next generation of consoles wont provide users with a new experience.
Just a more refined one.

Newer, faster hardware will have everything running at 1080p with AA and AF, load times will improve with SSDs, and faster/smaller processors will make the consoles more efficient and smaller over all.

Status
Not open for further replies.