EA: Single-Player A Thing of the Past

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

NOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I do single-player almost exclusively. Only once in a (long) while I'll do two-player with a friend over my network; never online.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I do single-player almost exclusively. Only once in a (long) while I'll do two-player with a friend over my network; never online.

gaevs

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
The day I cannot find sigle player games, will be the day i stop buying games at all.. as simple as that.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I agree, I hate multiplayer online gaming basically because I dont have enough time to dedicate to being ridiculously good - I have a full time job, three kids and countless other things to look after - I'd rather the hour or so a week i get on my xbox wasnt spent respawning every 30 seconds after being annihilated by american teenagers who spend 6 hours a day practising.

G

just when you thought EA were starting to do good things again, they decide that single player doesn't make enough money :S

what about dragon age EA? surely you're seeing awesome sales figures for that?

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
You need SP to build up your skills before joining the online crowd otherwise you'll have your butt kicked. It's a savage world out there.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I do like having a co-op campaign mode option for console games, but if single player PC games go away then I'm done.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
the SP of a game is the mainreason why i buy it its not always about the muiltiplayer!

ive played thro KOTOR and masseffect so many times that i can't remember but i still love it i like L4D but its not the same as the love for kotor

MoUsE-WiZ

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
What he means is EA believes it is easier to profit from multiplayer games as they can verify keys serverside to prevent piracy.

I'm loving Torchlight.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
EA is crazy for even suggesting something like this! And I agree with MoUse-Wiz that this is all about the bottom line, not the real trend. Single-player campaigns are like books, they take the player into a solitary place where they forget about reality. I am sure plenty of EA staff are very nervous... won't exactly need a creative team to come up with a basic MP game.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Just the view of an EA spokesperson. Single player is still strong. This isn't even the "EA" view of things otherwise why bother putting out Dragons Age, Dead Space, The Simpsons, Orange Box(Only 1 of those games is multi). Some of the biggest games are single still, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Bioware in general, hell Beth went out of their way to get the Fallout license.

Sales of these games counter what he says anyways, people love single player games still. Not about single or multi really, it's about how good the game is.

triplanetary

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
EA continues to be a bunch of dumbasses. The only reason it worries me is because they're starting to consolidate to a serious degree and now own a large chunk of the industry. (Which is funny, because five or so years ago it looked like it was Activision that was going to go that route; they did merge with Blizzard, but they haven't been busily buying up every studio they can like EA has.)

Every single one of my favorite games is a favorite because of the single player campaign. Homeworld. Civilization IV. Pretty much any Bioware RPG. I do not play these games for multiplayer (although multiplayer in Homeworld was pretty damn fun). Games like CoD4 skimp on the single-player campaign in favor of multiplayer. That's fine with me - CoD4 has a very dedicated multiplayer community. But it means I won't be buying CoD4, or 5 or 6 or any future CoD games.

Status
Not open for further replies.