EA Sports Sticks Up for Tiger Woods, the Athlete

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Can you imagine the sales loss if they changed it to a different name. People would think it was a different game all together. I bet half of all people who bought Madden knew it was made by EA.

darthskywalker

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
How many more years is it going to take before people start viewing
women as being persons and not as meat ! Tiger is a morally bankrupt
man who disrespected his wife and children who are now going to suffer
emotionally for years to come. He's a jerk.

blackbeastofaaaaagh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Well, this just shows how screwed up our society is. If your famous, talented or rich than the public automatically wants you to be a role model (that most parents can not be themselves) for their kids. If you are caught doing any objectionable victimless activity that many "common" folk also partake (or would if they could) then you have somehow betrayed the public trust.

If you think about it, this scandal should be getting him MORE endorsements not less. Beer ads have for years should guys being deluged by many beautiful women. The message in many ads has always been clear, our product is your gateway to having lots of sex.

darthskywalker

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
From my previous comment you might get the idea that I'm angry. Tiger
was the reason I bought EA's gulfing games. his public persona was of
a guy we all could look up to. I don't believe in rewarding or supporting those who disrespect others. Until EA changes it's mind I
for one will not purchase any more of thier games. You can not excuse
this kind of behavior toward women, children or anyone else. put your-
self in his kids position !!

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
The man is talented and a perfect example of a golfer no doubt, I understand what EA is saying.

But outside of his sports ability he is an absolute worthless human being. What I would give for a beautiful wife and a family. How someone could risk and throw that all away. I hope she takes him for all he's got and other sponsors drop him like a ton a bricks.

darthskywalker

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
How people act and treat others is everyones business when it is hurtful to others. If he wanted to have these affairs he should have remained single and not fathered children. I agree most things should remain private but not when others are hurt by the conduct.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]darthskywalker[/nom]How many more years is it going to take before people start viewing women as being persons and not as meat ! Tiger is a morally bankruptman who disrespected his wife and children who are now going to sufferemotionally for years to come. He's a jerk.[/citation]
I think people are gonna start viewing women as persons and not meat when the women who sleep with known married men stop doing that, it is a 2 way street, he was not alone in the act. Also looking up to someone like that and expecting them not to act like a human being just cause he is on TV is not a good thing to do, celebrity or not they are human and because of that do things you consider wrong.

That is one reason I do not and will not "look up to" any celebrity, they are people, people with power, fame and wealth and a lot of the time that goes to their heads and they think they can get away with anything.

The people I look up to, are the ones who taught me to be a good person, the ones who spent time with me and raised me, I don't need some random person to look up too just cause they are on TV.

darthskywalker

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Camikazi, I agree with you. I used a bad phrase there, I do not look up to celebraties either. I do believe that people can over come human
nature and love thier spouse and thier children, we are not locked into
these behaviors. Unlike some I expect people to act in a morale way.
I don't subscribe to the lowest common denominator theory.

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]I think people are gonna start viewing women as persons and not meat when the women who sleep with known married men stop doing that, it is a 2 way street, he was not alone in the act. Also looking up to someone like that and expecting them not to act like a human being just cause he is on TV is not a good thing to do, celebrity or not they are human and because of that do things you consider wrong.That is one reason I do not and will not "look up to" any celebrity, they are people, people with power, fame and wealth and a lot of the time that goes to their heads and they think they can get away with anything. The people I look up to, are the ones who taught me to be a good person, the ones who spent time with me and raised me, I don't need some random person to look up too just cause they are on TV.[/citation]

The Kiwis have a name for idiots like you... 'Stickybeak'. You run around and put your nose into everyone's business, measure everyone by your own moral standards. I bet you think that it is wrong to smack a child's behind when they are mis-behaving, right?

Keep your morals to yourself mate... Bring them around me and we'll have to go on a fishing trip to my favourite billabong... And you will be the bait.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]croc[/nom]The Kiwis have a name for idiots like you... 'Stickybeak'. You run around and put your nose into everyone's business, measure everyone by your own moral standards. I bet you think that it is wrong to smack a child's behind when they are mis-behaving, right?Keep your morals to yourself mate... Bring them around me and we'll have to go on a fishing trip to my favourite billabong... And you will be the bait.[/citation]

... Did you quote the wrong statement? Because his statement was perfectly rational, sound, and a good response whereas yours is just random and childish.

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]... Did you quote the wrong statement? Because his statement was perfectly rational, sound, and a good response whereas yours is just random and childish.[/citation]

You are correct. My response was meant for darthskyraider's post just above this.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
The only people that care about the Tiger Woods "scandal" is the media. Media outlets are so out of touch with their viewers/readers they don't realize that no one gives a rat's ass what Tiger has done in his private life.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
I went into my local games store the other day to look for Tiger Woods '10 but I couldn't remember the name at the time, so I told him "You play as a black guy who crashes cars, wields clubs and has sex with loads of skanky women".

So he got me a copy of GTA: San Andreas.

blackbeastofaaaaagh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
> You can not excuse this kind of behavior toward women, children or anyone else. put your-self in his kids position !!

OK, so you don't like the guy because of what he put his kids through. Fair enough; you don't like the guy, because of what he put his family through, so you are not buying his products. You have to admit though that many video game characters are quite questionable. I'm sure Duke Nukem, or the guy in Grand Theft Auto, won't be winning any feminist awards soon. Yes, many people out there will state that these fictional characters are harming real people.

Is objectifying women a big problem? I think a far greater concern is that society needs to fix our me-first attitude. Personally I have never understood this whole "objectifying women" concept that big media had allegedly created. Kids will mostly treat females the same way their parents would. I don't think any amount of Victoria Secret commercials will make any boy growning up in a healthy family to view women as mere walking sex-toys.

The issue I have is people who somehow felt "betrayed" by Tigers actions. Somehow, if someone is rich and powerful, faith is automatically thrust upon him/her in that he/she will be a moral compass, something too many regular folk are not will to be. If he acts like (unfortunately) most regular Joe s then he has let society down.

Status
Not open for further replies.