Sales for Tiger Woods PGA Game Plummeting

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Or maybe because sports games hardly change from year to year...[/citation]

Fixed that for you. ;)

adikos

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
this could be a result of the overall downturn in game sales we've been hearing about. i dont believe infidelity on wood's behalf is the root cause. since im not a sports fan (of any kind) i dont really know the following wood's has and what kinda following would buy his game, but i'd imagine a majority of the buyers are young men who probably dont care (or even engage in similar behavior).

maybe its the fact that this is the 11th iteration of the game and with a bad economy no one wants to buy it? maybe 10 wasnt very good and 11 isnt much better? the quality of games has slumped lately and while most of EA SPORTS games are mega sellers I cant imagine any of their games have changed dramatically these past few years. id also add that these recent million dollar contests for perfect games and what not make good motivators to buying and playing.

i almost wonder if we're heading for a video game bubble, like the one in the 80s.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
That's what happens when you put your whole franchise on the shoulders of one man. They're to blame, not Tiger.

At least, they didn't make a racing gaming sporting Jacques Villeneuve as the icon!

G

I bought the game, I think it's the best golf game... never gave a thought to Tiger's personal life. But now that I think about it... can I get a refund?

G

TW 2011 is just a bad game. It has 'features' that allow teams to cheat, the online experience is HORRIBLE compared to previous years, and they have made the Pro Shop kind of a mini-adventure-game where you stumble around, trying to figure out what cryptic pattern of stuff you need to buy to max out your golfer, all while spending more and more and more money via MS Points.

TW 2011 is a horrible version released as nothing more than a money grab by EA.

The last good version, server issues or not, was 2008.

tdenton1138

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
[citation][nom]mavanhel[/nom]So what? He had an affair. Does that make him a worse golfer? If not people shouldn't really care[/citation]

Based on how he's performed since the story of his affairs broke leading to the breakup of his marriage, I'd say that, yes, it does make him a worse golfer.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I actually think this is the most definitive Wii golf game to date. The new expert control options are amazing.

but yeah, why should a new sports game outsell its last version? people can't be expected to buy a new version every year. speculation that this has anythign to do with the scandal is ridiculous. gamers don't give 2 sh!ts about that.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
WRONG I can't believe someone gets paid to make these RETARDED statements.... Tiger Woods sales are starting to slump because Golf, as a video game, isn't a annual money maker like rosters of other sports are. It's the same reason Madden sales are going to down. People aren't going to pay 60/year for a new roster and the same game. The rosters should be updated for free or if you want to be real greedy a $10 USD download. NFL2k8 is still the best football game to date.

Sorry off topic. Tiger Woods in 2008 is the same game that is Tiger Woods in 2011. Rosters aren't important as most people create their own avatars and play as themselves. STUPID STUPID STUPID people.

Yet more proof that you can shyt can 50% of executives/management and productivity would go UP(along with profits, leading to hiring), not down.

russomd

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
Tiger woods on console doesn't change drastically year by year. Theres no reason to buy it every single year. It definitly doesn't have the same type of following as some of the other franchises. With Madden a big trade happens like Brett Farve going to Minnesota and people want the game to play it or NBA where Lebron goes to Miami, they want to play it! Nothing major happens in golf. New golfers join the PGA all the time but no one cares about nobody golfers who haven't won anything. Like the no name golfer who won the masters, no one will buy the new PGA so they can play him. Each of the different golfers in Tiger Wood's on console have different skill levels, ie tiger shoots better than everyone else. This makes it so everyone wants to play tiger anyway.

G

There are two valid reasons. First the game is horrible the control is awful. I had much more fun with the generic WII version. The control was easier to understand and much more responsive.

Second Tiger's image is a factor. Although I thought he was a little arrogant I did respect his talent. However I have lost all respect for the man and really don't want to look at his sour face through out the whole game.

Although he has not retired his best years are behind him. I hope EA moves on and makes a better game with several players to select from and not just one. If EA has anyone with any brains working for them that is what they will do.

mcg75

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
I stopped buying the game a couple years ago. Simply because EA was putting no effort into it. The graphics belong on an original xbox not a 360 to start.

thebozo1

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
His affair scandals would just stimulate me to purchase the game even more! The more they talk about him, the more of a chance I would actually go out of my way to purchase the game :)

Big deal he was involved with a lot of women, all celebrities are! Its just that their ones haven't been publicised yet...

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
They was messing the game up before his game started messing, at this kind of speculatin you could say its all EAs fault. Closetest thing someone could probably do now to save the game would be too get a rub off marker and right , "Tiger Woods" , on their putter they use the next time they play putt-putt golf. Just remember to rub it off, cause you dont know whos going to be using it next, or the next golf game EA is going to be coming out with.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
be better, not but better, be a but better angle shot off the right side back to the left since you missing the corner completely being on the wrong side of the shot, idk.

Vermil

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I think blaming poor sales on Tiger Wood's personal affairs is one h* of a misread of the market. Then EA is quite "good" on that. EA games will start to sell well, as soon as they fire all the armies of people who run around and ruin all the games. Yes, all the market managers and middle managers. Everyone need to go. They're a cancer inside EA.

Status
Not open for further replies.