EA Suing Over South Park Tiger Woods Episode

Status
Not open for further replies.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I thought it was funny. I don't remember any infringements taking place. People that buy Tiger Woods golf games probably don't watch South Park anyway.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
As a result of this I've just decided never to purchase a game by EA again. By allegiance to South Park is far greater than EA. Burn baby burn.

G

For the most part, parody is considered protected speech under the law. I find it hard to believe that EA will be able to win a case. Also, no reasonable individual would believe that the South Park depiction is an actual representation of the game (a crucial aspect of these types of cases).

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Hard to believe this is true. It is near impossible to sue someone over a parody. The courts have recognized the legality of "Just Kidding" for some time now.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
EA just goes further down the path to oblivion. Just like in that South Park episode where those musicians refuse to play because of music downloads, EA should sit out and refuse to sell games because of piracy. Heck, people pirate XBOS, WII, and PS3 games too. Cancel those also.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Boycot South Park. Only people with 3 grade mantallity watch South Park anyway so i don't think EA or Tiger have too much to worry about. Tiger is the best Golfer ever and he shall return to the top of the Kingdom soon. And Tiger will be around and remembered long after SP.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Tomshardware writes:
"Evidently they didn't think the parody was all that funny."
Next sentence quoting the people who didn't find it funny:
"While I personally found the episode quite funny,..."
Really?

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Maybe EA should start focusing on making decent games and not who's parodying them. Seriously, you Corporate types have nothing better to do than cry like a bunch of little girls.

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
I thought the fictional game parody looked like it added alot more fun to the overly relaxing golf game. "Prenup Power Up"! all the way.

Chetou

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]Boycot South Park. Only people with 3 grade mantallity watch South Park anyway so i don't think EA or Tiger have too much to worry about. Tiger is the best Golfer ever and he shall return to the top of the Kingdom soon. And Tiger will be around and remembered long after SP.[/citation]

What handkerchief?

Status
Not open for further replies.