EA: We'll Return to Wii U if Nintendo Sells More Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
And thus we have a serious conundrum. Game developers refuse to make games for the Wii because it hasn't sold enough consoles, and Nintendo can't sell enough consoles because game developers refuse to develop for it.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
you just cant judge a console by how well 2 late ports made. the mass effect they released was the third in a damn trilogy, how do they expect the Wii gamer to jump into the third game of a franchise they never got to play. and need for speed most wanted u was a remake of a game not a whole lot of people were fond of when it was on ps2.

all I see is laziness instead of rationality. sit back and watch other publishers/developers try to make a console successful, then jump back in. if games arent being made for the console, then how exactly do they expect the console to sell more? for a company that swims in money, youd think they would take more risks or opportunities.

cheesyboy

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Ahh. So now the truth comes out.

Remember EA saying the Frostbite engine wouldn't work on Wii U? Lies.

It's fair enough not bothering with a console if you don't expect to shift units. It does become self-fulfilling, though. Same thing happened with the Dreamcast (EA then, too), which was a shame as that could have been such a great console (it was fairly great anyway).

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
@purrcatian - I don't. I honestly want them and their Draconian shit to fuck off from gaming in general. Undoubtedly, they have really good titles, but IMO are not worth putting up with the crap they give us that come with them.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
The Wii is a casual gamers console... casual gamers are likely not going to be as quick to jump on each successive generation, why would they if the Wii already does everything they need? We know it's not about graphics and computing power for them... so adding graphics and computing power isn't necessarily going to do it. They REALLY need a title that will appeal to casual gamers enough to get their wallets open.

gigantor21

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Far be it from me to defend EA, but they do have a point this time.

Nintendo went for the same strategy of pushing some new "disruption" in the Gamepad instead of competing on specs. They were expecting to have another Wii on their hands; even projected initial sales were in the same ballpark as the Wii's launch. Instead, as the article pointed out, there are people who don't even know the WiiU is a separate console, and think the Gamepad is just a Wii add-on. This despite the fact that the WiiU was first announced in 2011 and is the first next-gen console on the market. If that doesn't scream marketing faliure on Nintendo's part I don't know what does.

So you have a device selling like crap, that is so underpowered compared to the next gen consoles that it's competing with current gen consoles with much bigger install bases as well. Even Nintendo isn't doing anything special with the Gamepad in most of it's upcoming titles. Why is any third-party publisher required to help turn the situation around? It's Nintendo's fault for not offering a compelling platform that people would want to buy--and devs could put their newest titles on--in the first place.

At this point, it's looking like sticking with motion controls and putting out something slightly less powerful than the Xone would've been a much better bet. They could've just sold the Gamepad as a separate add-on for people who wanted off-TV play. It's on Nintendo to prove otherwise, and no one else.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Wii U suffered and suffers from lack of games, especially ones where the new gamepad is used well. I'll likely pick one up after the price of the Premium edition goes down a tad. Haven't played EA-games for quite a long while now, so I don't care about them.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Well, nitendo was never about big titles but fun games.
Since i dont play consoles (PC gamer) i dont care at all about this, but since i Dont like EA, im somewhat happy for nintendo.

clikes2004

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
These types of articles are getting annoying to me. I personally have a Wii U purely because I anticipate the typical Nintendo lineup. True, I only have one game so far. I played it to death and now my Wii U is collecting dust because the big N hasn't come out with anything since. When Nintendo comes out with their AAA titles, I'll bite. Nintendo won't suffer the Dreamcast's fate because of their huge fan base. Often times when a third party developer makes something for a console, I don't buy it on the console anyway. I buy it for the PC.

usherfeat1

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
my classmate's mom makes $76 every hour on the laptop. She has been unemployed for 7 months but last month her pay check was $20300 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this site...www.rush64.ℂℴm

dudewitbow

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
@jscynder

Specs only attract the higher graphic end gamer who isn't the majority in console sales. Historically, it hasnt been the stronger console that sold the best always. The Wii outsold the PS3 and 360, despite being weaker. The PS2 became the top selling console in history despite being weaker than both the Gamecube and the Xbox.

jdwii

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I'm not buying anything EA anyways i even have to say i would say the same for others. i'm upset that EA has sims and ruined my sim city game.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
EA sucks anyway. But the Wii-U is problematic. Unlike past Nintendo consoles, they looked nothing alike between the models. The Wii-U is a bit bigger version of the Wii. And yet its NOT a Wii. The touch-screen is a gimmick and its concepts are... confusing.

Also, given the fact that the Wii-U is a $300 console that is on par with the 360/PS3, which are 8 year old-technology hurts big time. The PS3 is $250~300 console depending on its bundle (games / Move controller). You're getting more for your money. Wii-U = no hard-drive, can't play Blu-Ray, can't even play DVD discs! Its sub-standard to the PS3 which costs more money!

The Wii-U graphics blows away the Wii... and for what it does, it should have come out 2 years ago with a standard Wii setup at a MSRP of $200 and use DVD-Discs and drive.

Nintendo should get out of the hardware business.... they are unable to keep up and for that, their games will suffer. Imagine a Mario game on a PS4.... WOW.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
EA sucks anyway. But the Wii-U is problematic. Unlike past Nintendo consoles, they looked nothing alike between the models. The Wii-U is a bit bigger version of the Wii. And yet its NOT a Wii. The touch-screen is a gimmick and its concepts are... confusing.

Also, given the fact that the Wii-U is a $300 console that is on par with the 360/PS3, which are 8 year old-technology hurts big time. The PS3 is $250~300 console depending on its bundle (games / Move controller). You're getting more for your money. Wii-U = no hard-drive, can't play Blu-Ray, can't even play DVD discs! Its sub-standard to the PS3 which costs more money!

The Wii-U graphics blows away the Wii... and for what it does, it should have come out 2 years ago with a standard Wii setup at a MSRP of $200 and use DVD-Discs and drive.

Nintendo should get out of the hardware business.... they are unable to keep up and for that, their games will suffer. Imagine a Mario game on a PS4.... WOW.

Johmama

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
No, go ahead and stay off of Wii U, EA. In fact, if you really want to get your point across, you should stop publishing games on all platforms. That'll really teach us what's what.

Status
Not open for further replies.