EA Will Be Adding Micro-transactions in all Future Games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

magnetite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
TF2 was pay to play up until about a couple years ago. You did have the option to pay for stuff. Not just hats though, you could buy weapons if I recall too.

On the other hand, with some games, you could put in X number of hours and get said item for free via earning it, or you could pay a company a couple dollars and get said item right now. The choice is yours. No one is forcing you to do anything.

As for the game publishers in business to make money, you have a choice not to buy their stuff. If you don't like the fact that EA or any company does microtransactions, don't buy their games. Plain and simple. Gamers these days seem to think that signing petitions and complaining to the FTC is the way to do it though. Yet $5 says they'll still buy the game.

revered

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
[citation][nom]magnetite[/nom]As for the game publishers in business to make money, you have a choice not to buy their stuff. If you don't like the fact that EA or any company does microtransactions, don't buy their games..[/citation]
I understand what you're saying, but honestly it would make more sense if we were talking about people buying TV's, or smartphones, or mattresses or something. We're talking about games. Gamers find themselves loving a games series, or a particular developer, they love the experience provided and develop expectations, hopes, and longing for something similar. When a sequel or a developer lets their gamers down there is understandable frustration and disappointment. When we see great gaming potential sacrificed to other business motivations it isn't as simple as 'well just don't buy it duh.' We were hoping for something and it is getting ruined more often now than ever. Of course no one is forcing us to do anything, but I'm not going to pretend the lackluster results of some of my most anticipated games just makes me go 'oh well, not spending money there.' That isn't it at all.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Jdorty[/nom]More so that the goal to make money should coincide with the goal to make gamers enjoy themselves.Not to mention comparing microtransactions that give you advantages, whether they can be earned in-game or not, to buying HATS or SKINS is outright ridiculous.[/citation]

The SKINS in League of Legends offer no advantage at all. I feel this is the perfect fit for the micro-transaction model. The guy that just whopped your ass did it with the same game mechanics/gear/spells you and everyone else had available, only he did it in a fashionable sombrero. It is the games like Ebony that would have you play for 3-5 weeks and then find an anti competitive glass ceiling in the form of micro transactions needed just to maintain or continue competitive play. Vote with your wallet, either way. This model is now upon us and is not going anywhere. Overwhelming product placement within games is next.
I seem to remember when Cable TV first came out, it was for the most part commercial free. Now, only the premium channels are like that, but they still advertise their own content. One movie used to end and another started... These are the times.

bryonhowley

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
[citation][nom]Suzaku[/nom]Yup even more reason to boycott anything EA.[/citation]
I see no reason to completely boycott them at all. If they make a good game I will buy it and EA makes a lot of good games with out a question. I see this more along the lines of DLC witch I do not ever buy period. That is where I draw the line I will not buy content that should have been in the game in the first place and that is all DLC is content that was pulled out of the game just to make more money.

downhill911

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
I am the best player cuz I have the best weapons which my parents bought me after screaming and kicking everybody and everything in shopping mall. Even security guy came to check on my terrible parents.
LOL

freedom4556

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
[citation][nom]bryonhowley[/nom]...I see this more along the lines of DLC witch I do not ever buy period. That is where I draw the line I will not buy content that should have been in the game in the first place and that is all DLC is content that was pulled out of the game just to make more money.[/citation]

But that's just not true. Day 0 DLC is like that and is evil, but some DLC's are just stuff that they didn't have at launch. Fallout is one of those that strikes me like that, unlike the Prothian from ME3.

Chairman Ray

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
I don't support this. Having microtransactions encourages the developer to make the game unnecessarily grindy and tedious. It takes a very disciplined developer to make the game a complete experience without microtransactions and have microtransactions be an extra addition. From what I have seen in EA mobile games, I don't think future EA games will even be worth torrenting.

downhill911

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Next thing will be one of those forced surveys during playing games. It will not let you progress unless you fill in some pointless survey from company which judging by the question they ask has no clue what business are they in.

There will be option to disable this survey feature by simply buying 'Let me play that damn f...ing game for ch.. t s...e pass'.

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Scenario, Baldur's Gate 3, want this Armour +3, that will be $3, Go F yourself EA and sorry bitch/whore of EA, aka Bioware. You use to be a great company.

freedom4556

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
[citation][nom]downhill911[/nom]There will be option to disable this survey feature by simply buying 'Let me play that damn f...ing game for ch.. t s...e pass'.[/citation]
Multipass?

MAC_HATER

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
"Consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business."

ok, put the bloody microtransactions in, but dont tell me i enjoy them and want them you halfwit

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Yup I think that just insured I will not be buying any EA games. I was already avoiding them, now I am pretty sure I will fully avoid them. I don't want to deal with games that I PAY for that were designed to be played with microtransactions in mind.

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Syndicate, Mail Order Monsters, M.U.L.E. Bards Tale, the list goes on of epic games and franchises that EA has put out. There was a time when I would pay to see the Cube, Sphere and Pyramid loading away on my machines, those days may be gone for good.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
We all know the big reason companies continue to do this is because money. But the second biggest reason is that gamers have no consistency and no conviction. How can you be arguing about microtransactions when at the same time you're making Riot and Valve hundreds of millions when you buy your stuff? Doesn't matter if it's cosmetics, a microtransaction is a microtransaction. Companies see this and they replicate their own system, some go the whole way and make it P2W or others just make it so you have to buy "boosts" that will allow you to get to the end much faster than if you had none. Take no preference and no one company would dare to have microtransactions if every gamer dislikes it. Regardless of whether the game is paid or free, microtransaction should not exist to begin...if you believe this is wrong.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
[citation][nom]JamesSneed[/nom]I only agree with this model when the stuff you can buy gives no or very little in game advantage. Like say different color cloths etc. That way everyone who wants to skip the micro transactions can without being at a disadvantage. I really hate this new trend where you pay more for a game either up front premium package or later in microtransactions to have an advantage. To me it just defeats the purpose of it being a fun thing one does after a hard day at work.[/citation]
This. I don't mind paying for an extra character slot or two, or some extra storage; that's just for my convenience. The minute it turns into P2W however (or Pay [More] to Enjoy), I'm done.
Pay to Avoid Interruptions (e.g. popup ads or surveys) can't be too far behind, and that too is Evil.

noobzilla771

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
I'd say the best model right now is League of Legends. Free to play. People can pay to unlock skins, xp/currency boost, rune pages, and champions, but it doesn't really give them any much competitive advantage, if at all (only advantage being having more option). Cheapest/worst looking champion can beat anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.