EA Will Be Adding Micro-transactions in all Future Games

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think micro-transactions could work, but ONLY IF they did not hinder the natural progression of the game. For different genres, perhaps one of the most compelling to "wealthier" gamers is unlocks that save time such as making higher level items available sooner during single player, or allowing the gamer to participate in all events from the get go in racing games instead of unlocking each tier.

no developer for PC games in their right mind should create a dual currency system such as coins/stars or whatever. it would be a very sad day for a AAA title to offer crap like that.

jldevoy

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
People say they won't buy but they will, why else do you think EA etc. are convinced they can get away with treating gamers like moronic cash cows? They've tested the stupidity of gamers over the years with minor updates sold for £40 a go and online servers they just disable at will, and gamers have shown they'll take it.

noobcannon

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
[citation][nom]magnetite[/nom]EA just like any business is in business to make money. I don't see how this is any different than someone like Valve having people buy hats and such for TF2. They did that before the game went F2P.[/citation]

my understanding was that everything in game that you can buy you can also craft

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Well, it was fun while it lasted. I miss the days of being able to actually own a copy of a game that you could play with / mod however you wanted to, without being locked into an online platform of greed. When people made games to be a fun, amasing experience, rather than a money grubbing smash and grab experience. I suppose that's why I enjoyed Serious Sam 3 so much.

Now you can't play AAA titles without having your wallet wrenched out of your pocket.

UrbanMyth

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Origin was the start of the end - microtransactions just confirms that they don't want intelligent mainstream players - surely aimed at teens...

spat55

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
If they start doing free to play, and making us do micro transactions, then there will be no competition. Then they can charge what they like, however if there not careful this is going to blow up in there faces. This Is what would be the worse thing is buying a game, then having to do micro transactions just to finish the game :(

spat55

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]UrbanMyth[/nom]Origin was the start of the end - microtransactions just confirms that they don't want intelligent mainstream players - surely aimed at teens...[/citation]

Thing is games like fifa, and if your an American, Maddan, Nascar, then they are all licensed so that no other publisher can get there hands on it, so EA make it and we have no choice other to go and give them our money, the only games of EA I have atm in my origon or PS3 is Fffa, NFS MW, BF3 and MOH Warfighter.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]revered[/nom]I'll respond similarly to you how I did another guy who misunderstood my point from the same perspective. I know businesses want to make money and need to. By wording my post in the way that I did, "in the business of making games," I was illustrating the function of a game company. They do, in fact, make games. Making money from these games is the hopeful end result. My point is that game companies are focusing less and less on making stellar games and directly jamming the games with features that make them money. Features that often compromise the quality and design of the game. Their priorities and focus are askew. They could be making more money and producing better quality games, in my opinion, if they realigned them.[/citation]

And I'll remind you that EA does not make games. They provide capital and marketing and are in the business of maximizing revenue. You could better apply your point to a development studio, but we're talking about a publisher that isn't part of the technical process of making a game. That's actually not what they do at all.

DiggityDoggie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
The only game I've been playin since last March is Mass Effect 3 co-op multiplayer. I don't care if I get 1,000,000 thumbs down that still don't change the fact that EA and Bioware working together make a kick ass product. They just released ANOTHER free DLC and it never gets old. I'm havin a blast playin while a lot of you are sittin around hatin. Hearing someone say "another reason to boycott EA" is just frickin hilarious.

DiggityDoggie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
oh and I should add when it comes to micro paying, I believe that's optional. You can pay to get ahead or you can earn by playing without paying. That's how it is in ME3 right now I dunno about future games.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
EA's dirty buisness past with DRM, EA"s decision to charge for multiplayer to used games , EA"s decision to do all their PC game's through their craptacular Origin store. and now this that's 4 DAMN GOOD reasons to never buy EA again. it's one thing to get Micro transactions in a free 2 play game , it's a whole other story to get nickel and dimed on a retail game .. screw you EA.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]DiggityDoggie[/nom]The only game I've been playin since last March is Mass Effect 3 co-op multiplayer. I don't care if I get 1,000,000 thumbs down that still don't change the fact that EA and Bioware working together make a kick ass product. They just released ANOTHER free DLC and it never gets old. I'm havin a blast playin while a lot of you are sittin around hatin. Hearing someone say "another reason to boycott EA" is just frickin hilarious.[/citation]

Bioware made kick a-- products before they sold out to the devil. the fact they sold out to the devil made me loose all respect for them and their products ... and btw , DA 2 sucked majorly

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Does anyone else have a sense that history might repeat itself and we'll have another video game industry crash? Not as epic perhaps... but with the big names killing themselves by charging more and more and using more and more DRM while indie games and kickstarter thrive??

Status
Not open for further replies.