EA: Xbox 360 is "Maxed Out" but Still Impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Nintendo won the console wars a couple years ago. They set off a nuke and Sony and Microsoft are like two survivors fighting for the last scraps of food.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I'm not even gonna start Maxor127. If you say so.

Anyway the 360 was obsolete when it launched. So was the PS3 and the Wii. The trick of a programmer is to find ways to get better performance out of the console. And they haven't hit the mark yet.

apache_lives

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]Nintendo won the console wars a couple years ago. They set off a nuke and Sony and Microsoft are like two survivors fighting for the last scraps of food.[/citation]

You talking the snes or n64 days?

I liked my old sega genesis ^^

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]Nintendo won the console wars a couple years ago. They set off a nuke and Sony and Microsoft are like two survivors fighting for the last scraps of food.[/citation]
say what? uh, I for one don't own a Wii and have no interest in it. the only nintendo thing I have bought since the N64 was a DS for long trips mostly. however I have went from XBOX to XBOX360. I am far more a PC Gamer but the XBOX plain and simple is a gaming console and I do go through spurts of spending time on it when I find a game I like. the Wii - thats an adult toy plain and simple that kids can enjoy to. hardly a nuke.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Umm, have you not seen sales numbers lately? The Wii outsells PS3 and 360 combined most months...

Just because you have no use for it doesnt mean that Nintendo didnt kick M$ and Sony in the balls.

G

Most people never play on their Wii, it just collects dust under the TV.
I dont know anyone that have a wii that activley plays games on on it, they have one game and thats it

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
You know the best part about this for me, i'm not even a console gamer, hell the last one i bought was an n64. Yes, i will occasionally play my roomies when they wanna play rockband or something along those lines, but overall im a PC gamer. That being said, i can't stop laughing at people who say that nintendo "won" the console wars. The simple reality is that comparing the wii is like comparing normal run of the mill cell phones with blackberries or iphones. They perform a similar task yes, but they are not at all competing in the same market space. last i checked 60 and 70 year old men/women weren't exactly the type to go out and buy the latest console, yet that was a significant portion of the pie of Wii sales.

I can't remember the guys name, but it was someone high up in MS who basically said it perfectly, the Wii is a novelty. Its like a karaoke machine, not many use it regularly, you only bust it out when you have guests over.

MitchMeister-

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Ok, there is a difference between a "gaming console" and an "entertainment system". PS3 and 360 are the former, a Wii the later. The only time that anyone I know actually plays a Wii is at a party or with a lot of friends, or to play old nintendo games like mega man. The average gamer... (meaning someone who plays games a few days a week) Does NOT do in on a Wii. Any good game that the average 18-35 year old male gamer (which is something like 70% of all "gamers") would play is NOT on a Wii. Wii may have more sales, because the average person who doesn't have any interest in gaming likes the fun, quirky games that the Wii offers. But any person with any kind of interest beyond casual gaming does not use it. This is why any major gaming company doesn't even consider making a lot of games for the Wii. Graphically it's no where near as powerful as the other two. Not bashing the Wii, it is fun to play at party's and what not, but it's not for me... who's more then a casual gamer.

I guess my main argument is that I do not considering "winning" the console war solely based on profit. IMO it's more about the amount of high quality games. That being, a Wii does have a lot of "ground breaking" games due to the interactions with the wii-motes. But, this may no longer be a Wii exclusive thing, as both microsoft and sony have developed and are testing this technology with their respective systems. And, once again IMO, this will remove the the coolness factor of the Wii.

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
Wii is for some kinda casual gamers i think which is the biggest piece of the big pie..
That's why it is the best selling console and won a lot of people's heart..
But it didn't won mine lol..having my PC and PS3 for gaming
The reason i'm buying a PS3 instead of X360 cause the games i really like is on it like..GT5..GOW3...MGS4...

cheers

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Well duh the PS3 will take longer to max out, thought not that long. I highly doubt the xbox is maxed out yet as well.

Give it when Crysis 2 comes out on it, then it will be maxed out :D Same with PS3, so I guess they will be maxed out at the same time, so ignore what I first said.

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
In terms of pure console sales & profit from consoles, no one can say Wii didn't win; they've pretty much destroyed Sony & MS.

In terms of gaming power, features, replay factor, graphics & dev backing; Sony & MS are in a totally different universe than Nintendo.

Any god damned person with a spec of brain could of foretold Sony was asking for huge problems going with a programming architecture so complicated that they'd put off so many devs looking for a quick way to cash in on games. Boasting the most powerful console, by far, doesn't mean shit if it takes forever to code games and to harness the full potential.

I don't own any of the 3 latest gen, but I've owned (and still own) the older versions of the 3 (XBOX, SNES/64, slim PS2).

I ain't touching the Wii with a 10 foot pole because there's probably less than 5% of the games I'd play more than 10 minutes. My bro has a 360 and I can borrow whenever. The PS3 costs just way too much, but if the rumors hold true (the Nth time there's a price cut rumored, this time in August), I'll be getting a PS3.

Obviously it's got extremely good games, but Blu Ray is the easy seller here, so scrath 100$ and I'm all your again Sony, for the 3rd gen!

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]B-Unit[/nom]Umm, have you not seen sales numbers lately? The Wii outsells PS3 and 360 combined most months...Just because you have no use for it doesnt mean that Nintendo didnt kick M$ and Sony in the balls.[/citation]

I suggest you following your own advice, the Wii sales are dropping drastically. And it doesn't matter how much hardware you sell, it's the software that counts. And like others have pointed out, no one I know that has a Wii has more then one or two games. And none of them even play it today, not even my 5 year old nephew. He plays his dad's PS3 or Xbox360 now.

Nintendo is going to be in trouble next generation, they have lost their motion control gimmick.

jetstorm19

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
I have to disagree with you on that kami3k. Wii sales have not been dropping drastically. The only reason this last month it was not the top seller for machines was due to the fact the new DSi came out and eclipsed everything. And its not just software that makes or breaks companies like MS, Sony and Nintendo. There is also a very big market in the peripherals as well. Granted Nintendo hasnt had the support of developers for games that are more oriented to the mature audience, but they are trying to fix that problem and actually have quite a few games out and/or coming out geared towards that.

IMO I don't see Nintendo hurting just because they have "lost" the idea of their current controller. With our current situation in the economy, people can't afford to shell out lots of money anymore for a console that doesn't even come with a game. At least with a Nintendo, you can spend a couple hundred bucks and it comes with a few simple games right out the box that people can enjoy.

As far as I'm concerned, people should be thanking Nintendo because if it wasn't for them, more then likely MS and Sony wouldn't even be coming out with Motion oriented stuff. Nintendo always has been and always will be a massive innovator in the gaming industry hands down.

soldier37, the Wii was never designed to play dvds so if you thought about it for more then 2 seconds the Wii does exactly what it was designed to do in the first place. I am a pc gamer at heart as well, but for what console systems are meant to do, a pc cannot compete. Granted there are certain games that are on the pc only and also games that are cross platform, but again the average person cannot afford to build high end gaming rigs like we can. A person cant expect to build a $500 machine and be able to put out the same performance that a console can. It just won't happen.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
No, Wii sales have been dropping and will continue to drop. Everyone that would ever one what pretty much has it already.

"
IMO I don't see Nintendo hurting just because they have "lost" the idea of their current controller. "

Never said anything about now, I said NEXT generation consoles they are screwed.

Also a 500 machine can be just as good as a console, if not better.

RevolutionRed

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
I also doubt that the consoles are maxed out. Have you seen some of the latest PS2 games? They look almost as good first gen PS3 games, due to the fact that developers have years of experience with the architecture.

Furthermore, even if Sony's platform was the most powerful from the beginning, it doesn't matter now because there is no way that it is as powerful as the next generation which is supposed to be out in 2011 (according to rumors). So, Sony would have to outsell Microsoft 3 to 1 for the next year a half just to have the same user base, at which time the new console from Microsoft will completely cannibalize the sales of the PS3, because it will be 6 times as powerful as the PS3 is now. Don't believe me? The PS2 had ~36 Mb of ram, the PS3 512 Mb, or 14 times as much. I'm not sure about the actual processing power, but I think it's fair to say that the PS3 will be extremely outdated by 2011, and that Sony had better have a grand-slam with the PS4. I hope they do, because healthy competition is good for us gamers.

@kami3k

Frankly, it doesn't matter to Nintendo if they sell software or not. They were the only company making money off of every console sold right from the start. You think the top execs give a crap about software attachment rate when they a generating a billion dollars in profit off console sales? Sony is STILL losing money on every PS3 sold. Granted, Nintendo is shooting itself in the foot for the next generation by not supporting 3rd parties and not having great games, but they ARE rolling in the dough. They don't care if 70% of gamers are 18-35, because older retired folks usually have deeper pockets then poor college boys, and those are the pockets they are picking. I agree that Sony and Microsoft have better games and better systems, but their business decisions have targeted their products at a much narrower (and poorer) demographic. That's just business. It has nothing to do with gaming.

@soldier37

Nintendo isn't just selling because it's cheap. The Xbox360 is now the cheapest console (Arcade at $199 vs Wii at $250), yet the Wii still is beating it. It's the target demographic that doesn't care about true gaming on a 52inch plasma that's buying it.

rexoverbey

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Not buying it either by some EA VP representative in Europe. It's not like this statement is coming from Carmack or any respective developer.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
If your going by pure console sales, Wii won, hands down. Technically it IS a "same-gen" console as the 360 and PS3 (even if the hardware was outdated before the thing was even launched.) To not call it a gaming console it like not calling a netbook a laptop.

If your going by which console gets the most use, 360 won. It offers superior... well... everything, when compared to the Wii. Sadly the PS3 lost, they have a few things to brag about, most powerful console, built-in blue ray, not being "maxed out" yet; but nothing that relates to actual sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.