Easiest cheapest way to boost verizon cell phone signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

tam213

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Eek! Maybe someone who has had the same problem can help.....just moved to an area that does not have Verizon cell phone coverage. On the map it does show coverage beginning approximately 100 ft to the west of me, to the east it is a mile or so, north and south are both a 1/2 mile. I will gladly welcome any and all help on boosters, antennas, etc.. Sprint gets an excellent signal here, and I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to switch. I did see that Verizon has a booster for $249, haha, I pay enough for their service, I'm surely not going to pay more! Any help out there? Thanks so much!

the antenna-like devices you put in phones generally do not work. the few that do work also magnify the signal past the limits set forth by phone manufacturers. pretty good way to increase your chance of brain cancer by using those.

signal repeaters (which i think is what you looked at) are good at providing a signal in the general area provided they have a signal themselves. if you have zero signal the repeater will have zero signal. normally they are used to provide buildings with "inside coverage" because steel and concrete can kill coverage. most major office buildings have such devices.

one thing i do recommend is to download the latest list of towers in your area. it should be listed in your manual. i believe it was some *### type command. my signal got boosted by 1-2 bars when i did this.

i'm at the very edge of a deadzone myself and besides what i said above there isnt much to do about it. every phone company has this as a dead zone as well. i used to get 0-1 bars, after the update i get 0-3. calls get missed or dropped at times but its not bad (and i have a landline also so no big deal).

if you have high speed internet keep in mind you might be able to VOIP and not rely on spotty signal.

tiyoo

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Go ahead and call *228 you will either be prompted with something and press "2" or it will tell you that your roaming capabilities have been updated. This should increase your signal significantly.

Joy_6_

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016

Harvey57

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
Depending on your phone brand and model you likely can turn on the wifi assist on your phone. This will allow your phone to use your wireless internet to make and receive calls.

Jeff_103

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
I don't know if this has been solved or not, but I had the same issue. I previously had Verizon, moved to an area with a dead zone, and could not receive or make calls from my home.

I contacted Verizon to tell them the situation. They checked to see if they had similar complaints on streets around me, discovered they had many, and sent me the booster you're talking about for free.

Works great: problem solved.

bombebomb

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Mildly late to the party but there seems to be some misinformation in this thread, not entirely the poster(s) fault either. A cell signal repeater or cell phone booster takes the outside signal, and then amplifies it. It's not just to take signal from outside and put it inside, you can have the whole system outside, and sit the phone near it and you will get more signal. They work well, rather or not you want one of these over a microcell (commonly misrepresented as a "Cell phone booster") is up to the persons needs. I found this to be an OK comparison, http://unboxedreviewstoday.com/2016/10/19/att-microcell-vs-cell-phone-booster/
They have some other information on them also it seems.

Basically a microcell can broadcast a signal further depending on the booster used but on average they do, but it's not using legit cell signal, it's just creating a cell signal from the device, which is then routed through your home internet. It's never really using the cell tower at all.

No signal areas could be totally dead and zero signal at all however with signal so close to you it's unlikely, when using a signal repeater or booster you don't use your phones antenna. They generally come with a high gain antenna which can pull signal in much further away than your typical cell phone can. Plus it has the added benefit of being mounted outside, most likely on your roof.

Edit: Got a badge for returning after over a year, who knew lol

billy71

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
Hi, you sound like you know what you are talking about. Can you dumb it down for us?
I want to go to an area where there is no coverage. Closest is 10 miles away. Is there an antenna that can be mounted on my house, or my roof, or 30' in the air that will (or may) pull the signal?

what does that antenna plug into?

could I then use a repeater or booster to relay signal to my cell phone..say in my yard, or my house, or on my dock?

THANK YOU

Signal less in Minnesota

repeater or booster you don't use your phones antenna. They generally come with a high gain antenna which can pull signal in much further away than your typical cell phone can. Plus it has the added benefit of being mounted outside, most likely on your roof.

Can you get coverage if you hold your phone up really high, e.g. climbing a tree, or standing on a ridge or your roof? If so, putting a repeater there might help.

You can get a little more signal with a high-gain directional antenna, but not tons.

Be sure to check with your cellphone company before installing anything; unless OKed by them, transmitting on their frequencies opens you up to 10k+ of fines from the FCC.

mobifree

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017

Do yo have a clear line of sight to the serving site (the tower)?

If you do, you can get the solutions described (booster) but you'll also need a decent YAGI antenna and point it directing to the serving sector on the serving site (point it right at the tower).

Status
Not open for further replies.