Solved! [eGPU]External monitors to share eGPU and iGPU

Nov 13, 2018
Hi,

Here is the background. I'm using MBP15 late2016 with RP455, three external monitors and a sonnet RX580 eGPU. Since the eGPU is the only one that power up the three monitors the RP455 is basically idle all the time. so I'm wondering if its possible to hook up one monitor directly to my MBP and let it use the RP455 so the RX580 can focus on the other two monitors while i'm doing rendering.
I assume the external monitor should work if I plug directly into the MBP but the main idea here is if the 580 can provide more juice on the other two monitors

Solution
Not sure what you mean "more juice", if you are playing games on the video card and want the other monitor to display something else, then it may help with speed of the game. Rendering has nothing to do with the monitors, that is done in the silicon in the chip, unless you are talking about rendering an image on the screen.

Since you have the laptop and the monitors, why don't you connect the monitor to the laptop and see what happens?
Not sure what you mean "more juice", if you are playing games on the video card and want the other monitor to display something else, then it may help with speed of the game. Rendering has nothing to do with the monitors, that is done in the silicon in the chip, unless you are talking about rendering an image on the screen.

Since you have the laptop and the monitors, why don't you connect the monitor to the laptop and see what happens?

Solution