Electric Superbike Has iPhone for its Dashboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]Imagine this guy TXT'n while driving.... Suicide.[/citation]

You apparently missed the last electric bike to be featured on Tom's. Here's a recap: They apparently don't need to be distracted by a text message in order to commit suicide on one. The owner was trying to do a burnout and ended up planting the bike in the side of a van, and taking a 20 foot excursion through the air before doing a faceplant on the asphalt.

I cannot stress this enough, do NOT increase the number of distractions to electric motorcycle operators!

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Talk about your iPhone "crashing"... that could be very literal if it's doing any control of the engine like an ACTUAL engine computer would be doing.

Then again, it's an ELECTRIC bike so it probably only goes 30mph (or maybe faster but only for 10 minutes at a time before you have to plug it back into an outlet.)

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Apparently you didn't read the part "the bike can reach 120 mph in seven or eight seconds". Also, with an electric engine, it probally has enough torgue to pull any given Japanese superbike around the block a couple times.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
uses an iPhone for all its instrumentation.
and what happens when that iPhone locks up? It doesn't look like the power switch (for rebooting) will even be accessible. I shudder at the thought of running something on the iPhone that you depend on. btw, I have an iPhone and its a nice toy... its hard enough depending on the thing as a cell phone although that part could be the network but the phone does tend to start locking up after a week or two until it gets a reboot

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
"the world's first zero emissions road race"

Can you back this up?
What about the international all solar races? Those cars reach 100 MPH still...
Last were through Canada and Australia if I remember correct...

"accelerometer to provide location, speed"
Ummm... No.
Would you honestly trtust in any fashion for the iPhone to give your even semi accurate readings for your velocity/accerlation? It's meant to detect you shaking it, nothing more...

[citation][nom]starryman[/nom]Everything is cool about the bike less the iPhone.[/citation]

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.