I have emachines d732z laptop which is rarely used. When I have used windows 7, the notification panel shows "consider replacing your battery". After upgrading to windows 8, there were no such notifications. When I tried to power on laptop today, it does not turn on, the power on led and power indicator blinks with a second difference and that's all. When I connected ac adapter, the battery charging light changes from orange to blue which shows battery is fully charged. I have performed hard reset by removing adapter and battery and pressing the power button for about 1 minute and try power on with ac adapter only. The same problem of blinking power indicator happens. (After performing this several times the laptop powered on once and when I restarted, the same problem occurred and it doesnt started till now). So is this due to a faulty battery or something related to the motherboard of my computer?
Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If this will not work, do test the AC adapter if it's working properly. Remove the battery and power the laptop with just the AC adapter connected and see if it will boot up or not. do also try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage and see if it will work or not.
- Proceed with reseating the RAM's if trying a different AC adapter will not work, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
- If it will still not work, connect an external monitor and see if you'll get any display from it. If there's a display on the external monitor that could mean that the problem is the built in display.
- But if there's still no display on the external monitor that means the problem lies in the motherboard.