Enterprises Quickly Adopting iPads; Android Behind

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Laptop alternative? Like hell. And not just iPad, ANY tablet cannot be considered an alternative to a laptop. To a netbook, maybe... though, still not. Different devices, different purposes.

And it makes sense businesses adopt iPads instead of Android... Android is for tech-smart people who know exactly what they want from a device and find it in Android. Business just needs a tablet. Any tablet. If it's from a hyped manufacturer, is shiny and advertises an e-book reader app as a "feature", all the better. Although, I can't imagine myself working with a tablet unless I work in tech business... the thought of messing around with the device instead of working is way too tempting ;)

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Android is fragmented and slow. Only the fastest android phones are responsive enough to compare to an itouch/iphone. Not to mention the ipad 2 is cheaper than most android tablets. People love apple because their devices work. They run faster, cooler, and are smaller than their android counterparts.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
AFAIK, there is no way to activate ipads without itunes, but there is no similar thing for Android tablets. Very difficult to keep track of these. Most tablet users utilize Wifi and do not use wireless data/activation, making the whole tracking process more difficult. I bought an Asus Transformer and I can tell it's far superior to any ipad, but I did not have to "activate" it nowhere.
Itunes keeps track of every device and reports it accordingly, even if there is only one user/account. If the same account has 3-4 idevices, they are all registered and reported individually,hence inflating the numbers.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]jryan388[/nom]Android is fragmented and slow. Only the fastest android phones are responsive enough to compare to an itouch/iphone. Not to mention the ipad 2 is cheaper than most android tablets. People love apple because their devices work. They run faster, cooler, and are smaller than their android counterparts.[/citation]

You have been terribly misinformed...

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
"Apple is slaughtering Android in smartphone and tablet activations with U.S. businesses"

Maybe the Apple execs can tell that to Steve jobs when he reads Android on smart phones is out selling the iPhone 2:1 - LINK. I have to say that's a pretty desperate headline you guys have pulled out the bag there, why don't you just face up to the fact that Apple's iOS is getting murdered by an ever growing army of Android based smart phones? People are waking up to iOS's short comings and no matter how hard Chris and the crew try to spin it Android is the force in the market these days.

The tablet market is still in its infancy we won't know who is going to dominate this sector for at least another 3 to 4 years at the least. Microsoft will want a share, Honeycomb has only just hit the market and no doubt vendors will work in Linux based OS's for 'free'.

To be fair to JRyan if he mentioned Android on tablets rather then phones he would have fair point up until Honeycomb came out all Android based tablets were based on the phone version which didn't really work.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I tablets in the medical field (charts, prescriptions, quick reference). I like tablets for survey takers (properly filled out surveys with a proctor standing right there, it looks cool too, automated response storage). I like tablets for sales representatives who are quickly trying to demonstrate some dynamic information. I am not so sure I like it many other places.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Hey, maybe I was a little extreme and fanboyish, but comparing the only android phone I've had hands-on (samsung transform) to an ipod touch g4 was like night and day. The transform was extremely slow, even moving through menus took seconds. Angry birds got about 4fps at times, less at other times. Overall, there was a significant lag.

The itough g4, on the other hand, was nearly instantaneous. Apps launched and ran perfectly. Almost no lag. Great transitions, scrolling was flawless, and the browser was a pleasure to use.

I admit that I've never tried an evo or thunderbolt, which could easily change my perspective if it worked well enough. But that one horrible experience will be hard to ever forget.

darkgauntlett

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
I get what you're saying... My wife has the HTC hero and I have a samsung galaxy s and they're like night and day. My phone zooms through everything and i often make iphone users jealous or at least give up on their ridiculous podiums. iOS is great but it's not popular because it's the best. It's just overly marketed and geared towards people that don't know any better. I've had iPhone user tell me that the extra money was worth it to get an iPhone versus my phone although they're the same price. I've also had them tell me that android was a joke because it didn't handle music like the iphone. After showing them wireless syncing with itunes they were put off. I could go on forever about iOS users who are just ill-infomed (often simply dumb). Some manufacturers sell budget phones. If you buy the tier of phones that actually compete with the iphone (typically around $199) you've got a better chance of getting something good. Again...a chance, Android is made for people that don't mind thinking and learning.

G

iPads are simply a more mature platform right now. Once the Android tablets and marketplace get more mature this gap will close.

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]I bought an Asus Transformer and I can tell it's far superior to any ipad...[/citation]

Hardware wise perhaps, software wise not a chance in hell. Droid tablets still don't have many decent apps and not looking likely to in the near future.

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Toms really need to do something about these Android trolls, they are ruining the site. Every single article than mentions Apple = "iOS users are stupid and non technical ill informed idiots". Do droidfags think that saying something enough will make it true.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Windows 8 tablet, is going to put an end to all this real soon, once, the businesses realize that their productivity tools which are ubiquitously windows based, can be had on a tablet, the iPad will be regulated to the music industry where it belongs.

I can't wait, do you hear, me, yes I have an iPad2, but windows 8, I"m jumping ship, and I'm dropping my iphone as well, I hope nokia can come up with a windows 8 phone that is just as sexy as the iphone.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]Toms really need to do something about these Android trolls, they are ruining the site. Every single article than mentions Apple = "iOS users are stupid and non technical ill informed idiots". Do droidfags think that saying something enough will make it true.[/citation]
Keep in mind, it goes both ways. Look at jryan388's original post.

I think a better and more accurate way to put it is, "to have a good experience with an Android device, you need to do some research first. iPhones don't require much thought on purchasing."

The reason I say that is that iPhones only sell a high end phone. You don't have to know what you are looking for because there aren't really any choices. Androids are sold for low, medium and high end users and currently they have the fastest phones, with 4G network connections. If you get a cheap low end Android, it won't be as fast as good as an iPhone, but it shouldn't be for the money they cost.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]I tablets in the medical field (charts, prescriptions, quick reference). I like tablets for survey takers (properly filled out surveys with a proctor standing right there, it looks cool too, automated response storage). I like tablets for sales representatives who are quickly trying to demonstrate some dynamic information. I am not so sure I like it many other places.[/citation]

if i saw my doctor useing an ipad i would get a different doctor, but same goes for any arm based tablet.
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]Toms really need to do something about these Android trolls, they are ruining the site. Every single article than mentions Apple = "iOS users are stupid and non technical ill informed idiots". Do droidfags think that saying something enough will make it true.[/citation]

i know a few people who use apple things in real life.
they got an ipod, i got an archose (sp) mp4 player. and they wouldnt stfu about how much better apple was
i got a pc, they got a mac, and couldnt wait to try and convert me.

apple people are f***ing religious about their support for their products, and over look glaring flaws.

my favroite one was my mom and her ipad2
the internet wasnt working so she couldnt activate her ipad and couldnt play around with it for hours. while i sad and used a laptop (what she got the ipad to replace) and did crap while she waited for intent.

i admit and am VERY vocal in flaws of my devices. apple users, they have their ipods crash, unable to turn off because there is no physical off button, and have to wait for the device to run out of power.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]if i saw my doctor useing an ipad i would get a different doctor, but same goes for any arm based tablet. i know a few people who use apple things in real life.they got an ipod, i got an archose (sp) mp4 player. and they wouldnt stfu about how much better apple wasi got a pc, they got a mac, and couldnt wait to try and convert me. apple people are f***ing religious about their support for their products, and over look glaring flaws.my favroite one was my mom and her ipad2the internet wasnt working so she couldnt activate her ipad and couldnt play around with it for hours. while i sad and used a laptop (what she got the ipad to replace) and did crap while she waited for intent. i admit and am VERY vocal in flaws of my devices. apple users, they have their ipods crash, unable to turn off because there is no physical off button, and have to wait for the device to run out of power.[/citation]

So, you think Star Trek medical PADDs should be powered by AMD x64 Isolinear Chips when being diagnosed by your Vulcan doctor?

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
If you take numbers from AT&T perhaps, but there are a number of chinese Android tablets on the market with only wifi, and they are not accounted for!

The thing is, this is pure marketing BS! Apple just can't stand being on the losing side, so they had to create certain conditions where they would not come out as complete losers!

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]If you take numbers from AT&T perhaps, but there are a number of chinese Android tablets on the market with only wifi, and they are not accounted for! [/citation]
Except you fail in two regards:
1 - MOST iPads sold are WiFi only models (32GB > 16Gb > 64GB).
2 - This article is about enterprise (business users) buying mostly 3G versions (There are some Android tablets that require activations... XOOM for example, which is only 3G with WiFi)

I own a iPad Wifi only model... so I may with a 3/4G iPad3 or Android, I don't know yet. The most I don't like about iPad is having to use iTunes. iOS5 has some great improvements coming soon. I don't want a 16x9 tablet, which knocks out most Androids. HP's TouchPad is a cheap-feeling finger-print magnet mess of a tablet. There will soon be a ThinkPad Tablet soon, which may grab my interests, but it too is 16x9.

The extra USB ports are not important to me... but the stylus may come in handy.

I notice you have a slight change of heart about "might use".

[citation][nom]jryan388[/nom]Android is fragmented and slow. Only the fastest android phones are responsive enough to compare to an itouch/iphone. Not to mention the ipad 2 is cheaper than most android tablets. People love apple because their devices work. They run faster, cooler, and are smaller than their android counterparts.[/citation]
You look like an idiot. Different phones will have different performances, you compared a phone to a less complicated media player (iPod). With your logic, an iPhone1 is faster than a new GalaxyII with a dual-core CPU. Modern phones from Apple and others have the same hardware (in general) and so they perform about the same. The iPad costs no more or no less than typical Android/RIM Tablets... give or take $20. Only a few Android tablets are $250~400... with the cheaper being junk and the $400 selling quite well.

Galaxy Tab 10 is slightly smaller and lighter than an iPad2. People have various issues with Apple products as well. NOBODY makes a perfect device. For the novice, iTunes with hardware generally works good. The file system with Android can get a bit ugly.

(I own an iPad and Android phone)

[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Laptop alternative? Like hell. And not just iPad, ANY tablet cannot be considered an alternative to a laptop ~~ Although, I can't imagine myself working with a tablet unless I work in tech business...[/citation]
A tablet is NOT a notebook. It has its place. Does a notebook replace a desktop or a server? Why bother with notebooks, when everyone should lug around a 20+lb box?

Yes, in certain areas - a tablet is a notebook replacement. ie: it handles the job requirements.

There are things notebooks CAN'T do that a tablet can due to form factor.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]if i saw my doctor useing an ipad i would get a different doctor, but same goes for any arm based tablet. i know a few people who use apple things in real life.they got an ipod, i got an archose (sp) mp4 player. and they wouldnt stfu about how much better apple wasi got a pc, they got a mac, and couldnt wait to try and convert me. apple people are f***ing religious about their support for their products, and over look glaring flaws~~[/citation]

You talk about apple users being religious, but then you say you would change doctors for even owning a tablet computer. Seeing the posts here from Apple haters (I've been there myself) is no better or worse Windows haters. Nobody put a gun to anyones head to buy $500~2000 toys. But yeah, as animals - we do have a monkey-see-monkey-do attitude.

I understand about the MP3 players. But looking at what is on the market... most MP3 players are crap. They don't even try to compete against Apple... and those that do, costs the about same. It was actually a bit of a pain to get my first MP3 player a month or so for the gym. I didn't want to spend $45 for the clip... which is quite a well made product.

I almost bought a $20 POS, but reviews from newegg from people saying they lasted a day or a week means I'll waste $20. I settled for a $30 SanDisk Clip... I wanted a display and it has a clip which I needed as well as tiny as the iPod Shuffle. Its not perfect, music sounds a tad slow. Otherwise I'm happy with it.

I have an iPad, I'm mostly happy with it... I don't like iTunes, but it does do many things well, some... ugh. But I understand what it does for most people, which is make using i-Devices easier to use. I use the iPad at home and for business, my son likes to play games on it - about as much as his Nintendo and desktop.

My Android Galaxy Phone... looks very nice, some bad design issues (some excellent ones as well) works... but both Android and Samsung does things makes me want an iPhone or WindowsPhone7 (the latter). The update software didn't/doesnt work... interface on many default Android apps are more difficult than they should be. Froyo made improvements and downgrades at the same time.

Your mother's issue with her new iPad is the fault of internet connection, the device itself - so why blame apple for that? Every month, computers are becoming internet ONLY... everything will need to be registered/activated. It was a good out of box experince with my iPad(1). I plugged it into my notebook, I had to DL the latest iTunes (ugh), which then upgraded the iOS on the iPad and within 5mins or so, the device was ready to use. Meanwhile, the crap software from Samsung to update my phone STILL doesn't work with Windows7 (many people have issues with this) but I got it to work on my son's OLD OLD XP notebook. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.