Entertainment center that works with Sony HCD-S300 speakers

Barnicle

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
I have a Sony HCD S300 that died but all the speakers work fine. Can anyone recommend a 5-channel system that will work with these speakers? They have unique, square plugs.
I don't look forward to the challenge of rerunning speaker wires above the drywall ceiling of a new system.

Solution
Forget the special plugs, you can simply cut them off and just bare-wire them. ANY AV receiver will take bare wires. The critical item is, if speakers are 4 ohms, AV receiver MUST be able to drive 4 ohms. If speakers 8 ohms, ANY receiver will drive it. To a lesser degree, whatever wattage your old box put out, no need to buy an AV receiver that's overly (more) powerful than the old, since the speakers can't take it anyway.
Forget the special plugs, you can simply cut them off and just bare-wire them. ANY AV receiver will take bare wires. The critical item is, if speakers are 4 ohms, AV receiver MUST be able to drive 4 ohms. If speakers 8 ohms, ANY receiver will drive it. To a lesser degree, whatever wattage your old box put out, no need to buy an AV receiver that's overly (more) powerful than the old, since the speakers can't take it anyway.

Solution

Barnicle

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
It may not look good for the home team. Here are two sections from the manual:
Does this mean I need to shop for a 3 ohm system?
Maybe I'll just bite the bullet, mount new speakers and run new wires with a new system.
It just seems like such a waste...

Speakers
SS-TS300 (Front/Center/Rear)
Speaker system Bass reflex
Speaker unit 2 7/8 inches (70 mm) dia. cone type
Rated impedance
3 ohms

SS-WS300 (Subwoofer)
Speaker system Bass reflex
Speaker unit 7 1/8 inches (180 mm) dia. cone type
Rated impedance
3 ohms