Epic VP: PS4 is Like a Perfect Gaming PC

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

biohazrdfear

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]Do modern games really need more than 2GB of system memory (plus the ~2GB of GPU memory)? If so, then hopefully they'll start releasing PC games that take advantage of more memory as any modern computer has 8-16GB.[/citation]
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]Do modern games really need more than 2GB of system memory (plus the ~2GB of GPU memory)? If so, then hopefully they'll start releasing PC games that take advantage of more memory as any modern computer has 8-16GB.[/citation]
[citation][nom]dextermat[/nom]Maybe from a noob prespective I guess (yes, I did say noob)[/citation]
[citation][nom]dextermat[/nom]Maybe from a noob prespective I guess (yes, I did say noob)[/citation]

Crysis. All I gotta' say.

biohazrdfear

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
[citation][nom]biohazrdfear[/nom]You must have a PS3 huh?Lol, no console will ever be more powerful than a high performance desktop. Period.[/citation]

Oh, and just letting you know...its an APU that will be running in that PS4. So...8GB? Yeah, its gonna' be shitty.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]99.9999% of games are developed to work with 32bit though. Why intentionally exclude 29% of the enthusiast, 100% of the XP, and the majority of the casual market?I think the move to using somewhat standard PC hardware and OpenGL/DX is the best thing Sony can do. It's been 5 years and people still don't know how to code properly for the cell in the PS3.[/citation]

I am afraid that you are completely right in there... We just have to wonder how many years PC game will be maid for 32bit... Untill that the new consoles will have huge edge in the useable memory size!

There are very few games that use more than 2GB... I could be guite annoying if your gaming PC with new Hasvell CPU, Titan GPU and 32Gb of system RAM is using only 2 Gb of that system memory while PS4 and Xbox720 are using full 8Gb...

coolestcarl

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
[citation][nom]tlg[/nom]wow that means that with my 64bit windows, 4Ghz quad core i7 ( 4 year old model) and my 7970 I must have a GODLIKE pc and I didn't know it lolol[/citation]

I too died laughing when they mentioned what impressed them about the PS4. Yep, Actual PC owners have had "PS4 emulators" for almost 4 years now. Yay finally we can get those "next generation" games for our half decade old "future proof" machines. :p

Jprobes

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
@biohazrdfear - No offence but you sound like a snobby asshole who lives in Laguna Hills that drives a 458 Italia, looking down on your neighbors who choose choose to drive M3's & Panameras.

Just because $2000 dollars for PC hardware every few years is within your budget doesn't mean so for everyone else in the world. You are the very small minority in the world when it comes to PC hardware.

In all honesty, modern day consoles cater to the demographics who can't afford to invest thousands of dollars into computer hardware, troubleshoot computer hardware and pay the cost of electricity to run top end hardware like we own.

Food for though - If your computer draws around 500w TDP under peak usage, then if you use your computer on average 3-4 hours a day, including monitors. your average electricity bill increases over 20$ a month. Even more during the summer when rates get readjusted.

That is an extra $200-$300/yr to operate your gaming computer beyond the cost of hardware.

Quit being such a pretentious douche-bag.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
"This really opens up beyond what most PCs can do, because most PCs are running a 32-bit version of Windows," he said. "We can do crazy, ridiculous stuff with that. It's like giving you the world's best PC."

And this guy is the VP....

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]nokiddingboss[/nom]yep and this comments section has completely devolve into a specs war. The GLORIOUS PC GAMING MASTER RACE can't even finished reading the article without butting up your "l33t" machines. you guys tend to skip out on the non-graphics related content like - "I've always said that the things in the next-generation that aren't just brute force hardware are all about the service and simplicity of the experience - the things that make it as fun and easy to get a PS4 game as it is to get a game on your iPad" and this - "That's what the next-generation is all about – adopting the simplicity of what we've come to know and love on smartphones and tablets, and backing it up with amazing hardware specs at a "reasonable" price. i just hope that not all of you have brains the size of haswell that has the processing power of a turd.[/citation]

Not to feed the troll but umm when ps3 was first in development one of the bullet points in their sales pitch was cross platform play in games. When this was tried the console gamers were completely wasted by the pc gamers. Even with their auto aim they didnt stand a chance. Cross platform FPS games quickly disappeared from the selling points of the PS3. To date I can only name ONE cross platform game (Portal) and its a co-op only cross platform game not competitive.

Keyboard and mouse will always be superior to a game pad...

What Im hoping for is more kinect/move/wii kind of games so I can point a gun at the screen and so can a console player so everyone is using the same interface and only the local graphics will be different. Plus IIRC there was a study that said gamers who used those styles of controller like the kinect/move/wii to aim at the screen were 33% more accurate over keyboard and mouse and 50% more accurate than a controller with auto aim. How cool would that be?

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom] and just admit that 99% of games out there are running with a 2GB or 4GB memory limit on our fancy gaming PC. And when that's not the case, it's because users hacked the game's setting to fix it.[/citation]
Agreed, Skyrim had a 4gb limit to begin with an someone over at Nexus made an unofficial patch right out of the gate allowing it to detect and use as much as you had. It wasn't too much longer before Bethesda made it an official patch for everyone around version 1.4.
I just don't understand if its so easy to do, then why can't these companies just toss in the extra lines of code and really let us go nuts? Increasing memory shows more gains than ramping up cpu speed the majority of the time.

icraft

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
So this means that a perfect gaming pc can barley play BF3, CoD, Minecraft, diablo 3 and others at max setting 30 fps?

RocketRaccoon

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Wow there's a lot of butthurt PC gamers in this thread. I have a decent PC myself, but the PS4 seems to offer a tremendous advantage in ease of use and flexibility for programmers who have been saddled with arcane console architectures for some time. Can't you just be happy that by default everyone will be getting a better experience instead of crying like a bunch of children because you feel mildly insulted?

theLiminator

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Ah well, I'm sure most casual gamers don't really have anything impressive at home. So relative to them, the PS4 is a great gaming platform. We can't really complain, they're finally gonna make some games for PC that will utilize the power of our systems. Perhaps we'll even get more ports due to them running very similar hardware.

TheFrigginDoctor

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
"...the limited 2 GB of addressable memory space on Windows-based machines...most PCs are running a 32-bit version of Windows..."

This is completely wrong.

First of all, a majority (over 70%) of all gaming computers are run on a 64-bit architecture. Even if they were only run on a 32 Gb architecture, saying they're limited to 2 Gb of RAM is completely fallacious. RAM is limited by the number of "bits" contained within the Front Side Bus (FSB) on the motherboard. Keep in mind, a bit has two distinct states, off and on. A 32-bit architecture has 32 bits on the FSB, meaning that the amount of usable RAM on a 32-bit rig is 2^32 (4294967296) bits, AKA 4 Gb, not two.

Now let's take a step up to the most common--64-bit--architecture. This is limited to 2^64 (18446744073709551616) bits, AKA 18 Petabytes. This means that 64-bit architectures are virtually memory-unlimited, meaning that they are infinitely more usable than ANY console OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.