Ericsson to Demo 42Mbps Cell Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurbt

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Remind me again why I'm paying AT&T $50 bucks a month for 6Mb/s DSL?

The 42Mb/s service will undoubtedly cost a fricken fortune per month, but if they had a 5Mb or 10Mb service that was comparable in price to what DSL or cable companies offer, I'd move away from wired connections altogether. I already don't have a home phone line anymore.

_horse

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Not too shabby. But maybe this will drive down the monthly cost of data connections overall.

They know that even if they do drop this out to the market, in this economy, there wont be many buyers AT ALL. HOPEFULLY they have the right idea about this and are going to adjust pricing accordingly to make it a selling point to consumers, thus pushing the now-standard speed prices down more.

It'll happen eventually, but heres to hoping sooner than later.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Theoretical maximum speeds are not everything.

Nice that they're fast. However, how much will it take to roll out the system? How good are speeds throughout the coverage area? How much will it cost? What are the bandwidth caps? How many simultaneous users will this handle?

Too many questions to jump for joy.

khaydin

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
So why do we need these kinds of speeds on our phones? I don't know of any bittorent clients for phones. How about we focus on making it so that i don't have to bring a charger with me everywhere just incase i decide to use mobile broadband features on my phone. I have a charger at home, in my car, and a usb charger i use at work and keep with me all the time. The phone i'm talking about is a HTC G1 btw. Had a Treo 700w before and it was slightly better on battery but still pretty bad.

_horse

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]khaydin[/nom]So why do we need these kinds of speeds on our phones? I don't know of any bittorent clients for phones. How about we focus on making it so that i don't have to bring a charger with me everywhere just incase i decide to use mobile broadband features on my phone. I have a charger at home, in my car, and a usb charger i use at work and keep with me all the time. The phone i'm talking about is a HTC G1 btw. Had a Treo 700w before and it was slightly better on battery but still pretty bad.[/citation]

I hear that. Fix my battery before worrying about making a device that can suck it down faster.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Oops, rest of message didn't post.

Seriously though. When this can cover the entire country, we can kiss satellite radio good-bye. Mobile streaming internet radio.

G

2$/mb is all I have to say.. :p
Need to fix that limitation first.
In Sweden anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.