eSATA works with Dell Desktop but not Dell Laptop

rkicklighter

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
I have a Dell XPS desktop and a Dell E6410 laptop. I also have a 1TB drive in an Ultra eSATA case. This drive is used for VM machines. When working from home I attached it to my desktop and when on the road, connect to my laptop.

This arrangement has worked fine for several months. Now however, the drive works fine when attached to my desktop, but when connected to my laptop, it is recognized in Disk Management but as a RAW file type.

The E6410, like most Dell laptops now has a combination USB / eSATA port. My drive enclosure also has eSATA and USB ports. I get the same results connecting with either.

Just this week I have tried my eSATA drive on 2 different desktops and 2 laptops, mine and a coworker's. His laptop is a E6510. Same result, the drive works fine on a desktop neither of our laptops, both show a RAW file type.

Even though I have been in the computer world for years, I am at a loss. These are corporate laptops with numerous security protocols in place including SafeBoot. I am beginning to think something out IT people have pushed down is causing this. Especially since a regular, off the shelf, USB drive works fine.

Any ideas from anyone???????

rkicklighter

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

I already ran check disk a couple of times. No problems, no errors.