Solved! Ethernet link not going beyond 100 Mbps

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamfellar

Commendable
Oct 14, 2019
Hello,

My internet connection is 200 mbps, going from cable modem to TP-Link Archer C7 V2 AC1750 over PPPoE. I have CAT 6 cable from the router to my laptop with 'Intel(R) 82577LM Gigabit Network Adapter' and Windows 10. The driver Properties -> Advanced -> Speed & Duplex is set to 'Auto Negotiation'.

This way I expect the 'Speed' in Ethernet Status -> General to be shown as 1 Gbps, but it stays at 100 Mbps. I tried changing 'Speed & Duplex' to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex, but that disconnects the adapter and the network connection does not work.

Is it possible to get 1 Gbps link using this setup? How?

Actually 200 Mbps is no where near 1Gbps. 1Gbps is 1024Mbps. (or just 1000 you do the cheap shortcut that most companies now use.)

So, if your internet connection is 200Mbps, then the max you can get is 200Mbps. It can't be 1Gpbs. It showing only 100 could be that you are getting less than you are paying for (happens a lot). You would have to test it through a different device to be sure. It could be your modem/router is not functioning correctly to get said speed, or is even not capable. Or it could be your computer is not capable of said speed.

So first you need to check the devices to make sure it isn't them. If all devices only get the 100 no matter what modem/router, device, etc., you use, then I would contact your ISP as the problem may be with them.

Reactions: dreamfellar

dreamfellar

Commendable
Oct 14, 2019
Perhaps I should have mentioned this already: I'm getting close to 200 Mbps using 5 GHz WiFi (802.11 ac) on my Android phone. It is the wired connection to my laptop which seems to be somehow capped at 100 Mbps. How can this be fixed?

dreamfellar

Commendable
Oct 14, 2019
Apologies for a late reply. I tried a direct connection to the router and it works like a charm! I get full 200 mbps link. It seems to be a connector crimping issue. What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.