Eurocom's D900K F-Bomb: The Monster Car of Gaming Notebooks

bgerber

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Eurocom's D900K F-Bomb notebook is large, heavy and, when in the middle of a challenging game, noisy and hot. Still, even compared to Dell's powerful XPS M1710, the computer delivers very good performance and has the kind of cachet associated with the best of the monster gaming machines.

djr114

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
Good article, but something is off in the dimensions between the Imperial and Metric measures for the f-bomb. (15.6*2.54=39.6, not 33.4) I would guess the Imperial ones are correct since they are close to the Dell and much bigger than the metric dimensions, but it would be nice if you could fix it.

Thanks.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Finally, after all these weeks, you guys get your act together!

It was obvious a long time ago that the video card is the cornerstone for the gaming performance of any notebook.

Readers might want to know that they can also get a similar system from WidowPC - the Sting 917X2 - that already comes with a 7900GTX 512MB installed.

With regards to the forthcoming SLI notebook review, it would be "nicer" to chew through a unit that had dual 7900GTX 512MB cards, especially considering the demanding requirements of games such as Oblivion. The Alienware Aurora mALX currently offers a dual 7900GTX 512MB configuration option.

Also, regarding delivery times for SLI notebooks, a phone call to WidowPC confirmed that they can have a custom built unit on my doorstep in four days flat. And that was already a month ago.

THG could get one in 5 days if they are creative...

djr114

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
Yes, 39.6. Fixed. Thanks.
Sorry, I must not have been clear enough in my original post, the height and depth of the f-bomb seem to be wrong also. 1.9*2.54= 4.8 not 3.86 and 11.7*2.54=29.7 not 23.47

Thanks.

icthy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Isn't this a Clevo notebook being distributed by Eurocom? Perhaps that would be a better title for the article, as U.S. folks might want to buy it through Mtech or another distributor.

Also, I'd note that Clevo in my experience is a little mysterious about exactly is in their laptops. For instance, they don't come out and tell you the name of the dvd burner in them.

In addition, I'd love to see a future article explore the D900K's linux compatibility.

Finally, as a newcomer to these forums, I want to say it's irritating that Tom's Hardware takes my posting and puts links to ads in it. This is borderline unethical in my opinion.

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Yes these Clevo notebooks. Even Alienware just sells a slightly tuned version of a Clevo. I bought my Sager 9860 from Powernotebooks.com about 17 months ago. Never have had a single problem with any of the components. However I did specify a 7200 rpm HD, and Corsair RAM.

I think the testing was well done. However, the Dell had a 7200 rpm HD, the Eurocom had a 5400 rpm HD. Big difference there. The Dell also has 2 gigs of RAM, Eurocom 1 gig, once again advantage Dell. 7900 vs 7800 video card, hmm I wonder? Dell has alot of cash to throw around, so they can get their hands on the biggest, fastest, newest, most cutting edge components that smaller shops cannot. Stupid little differences like this make a test like comparing apples to oranges. Everything is not equal. If they wanted to make the test interesting, why didnt they set the Eurocom up in RAID 0 with 7200 rpm drives, and 2 gigs of ram? If your spending that much, whats a coupla hundred dollars.

BTW. you can spend around $3577.28 from Powernotebooks and have a system that will pretty much thrash the Dell in this article. Dont believe it? Go take a look for your self.

Personnaly Im not a fan of Dell products. I know more people that have more problems with Dell than anything. For instance, a close friend of mine has a Dell laptop. When he first got it, it worked well enough, but over the course of the last year it has gotten worse and worse performance wise, and stability wise. This is after reinstalling Windows and updating all device drivers. He has asked for Dells help many times, but it falls on deaf ears. Good company, decent products, sometimes horrible customer support.

mrbill

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
Eurocom's D900K F-Bomb notebook is large, heavy and, when in the middle of a challenging game, noisy and hot. Still, even compared to Dell's powerful XPS M1710, the computer delivers very good performance and has the kind of cachet associated with the best of the monster gaming machines.

Sager makes an SLI a model like the Dell and the Eurocom. I wonder who the ODM is? (Original Design Manufacturer). They are the true manufacturers who actually cast, and assemble the main unit which includes the motherboard, outside casing, and display. A few examples I can think of as ODMs are Quanta, Compal, Clevo, Mitac, Asus, AOPEN (Acer), Uniwill, and TwinHead--

It might be CLEVO for this Sager. :idea:
http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/go_np5950.html

I do like the machine and its always nice to see another choice besides DELL. However, I think I'll wait for the the review of the SLI models first.. 8)

Ratbait

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
It is a desk top replacement, I have the intel version have been running it for almost a year now (Hypersonic). No problems, works like a charm.

Clevo kicks out a mean machine there is no question about it. Even their true lappys are hard to beat.

Oh and best way to cool it is two 16oz bottle caps off of any pop bottle, prop the back of machine on them and you got a nice breeze way for air. And take the covers off the flash slots as well.

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[quote="mrbill]
Sager makes an SLI a model like the Dell and the Eurocom. I wonder who the ODM is? (Original Design Manufacturer). They are the true manufacturers who actually cast, and assemble the main unit which includes the motherboard, outside casing, and display. A few examples I can think of as ODMs are Quanta, Compal, Clevo, Mitac, Asus, AOPEN (Acer), Uniwill, and TwinHead--

It might be CLEVO for this Sager. :idea:
http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/go_np5950.html

I do like the machine and its always nice to see another choice besides DELL. However, I think I'll wait for the the review of the SLI models first.. 8)[/quote]

Pretty sure its a Clevo. If you look close at the battery, label on the bottom, and the footpads, it all looks the same as every other Clevo Ive seen.

And Ratbait I do the same thing, except I use a 3/4" x 1" piece of wood that sits on my desk under the rear feet of the laptop. Im not really keen about taking the memory stick cover off though. Our cat is a major source or hair that gets in the fans of all my PCs, and I dont really enjoy taking my laptop apart to clean it out.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Clevo makes those models. The problem with Clevo is 500 unit minimum order (they are a true ODM).

Clevo supplies to Sager (it is actually the guys son).
It is the identical machine.

TheJaMBo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Sorry to pick on the grammar but in your last sentence you put one too many tests, you forgot a comma, or you meant something else.

"and promise to test fully test it"

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
The Clevo can compete pretty well with even the latest of machines. Amazing considering that particular design has been around for almost two year now and hasn't changed much in that time.

I'm waiting to see what they will come up with next!

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
These notebooks have MUSCLE.
Much better for gaming than the notebooks in the last gaming/notebook article. A better example.
Thanks!

filmdirector

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
:x ......I've been in the market for a truly powerful Notebook for several months and I have been scouring web sites like Tom's for as much info as I can get. Unfortunately, I keep getting distracted by patheticly poor and ever worsening quality writing on this web site ! I'm really starting to get fed up the situation ! I give you one of many examples below........

"Eurocom has promised to send us an SLI powered notebook after we finished this review. We anxiously await the arrival of the computer and promise to test fully test it and get the results to you with all due speed."

.....If you don't see what's wrong with the above writing, then never mind. All is well. Unfortunately, for folks like me, I have been taught how to read and write the English language and you would think Tom has a proof reader or two to weed this stuff out. I'm not talking about the odd typographical error from time to time, rather, this site is literally decaying in the writing quality department. Come on Tom ! Clean up your writing please.