Europe to Get Universal Cell Phone Charger

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Alex government does have a role to play. They need to nudge and encourage companies to act in the way their constituents want. If the citizens want environmental concerns addressed, efficiency in the delivery of products, reduced packaging they often need their government to intervene on their behalf because business is only interested in doing what is financially efficient.

Leaving things up to business and the market is a common mantra in certain countries. However it does not work unless the market is diverse enough to foster real competition. I think the North American cell phone markets could benefit a great deal if governments mandated that all phones be sold unlocked. Carriers would then compete based on price, coverage, reliability and performance. If consumers can't afford the phone they want then it could be amortized over 12 or 24 months with a separate charge on their monthly bill (a charge that would go away when the phone was paid off). Personally I think it would make the industry more transparent and offer consumers a lot more choice. However this is an example of a situation where the companies dominating these markets will be reluctant to go this route because they will not be able to lock in consumers the way they do today. If people really want this freedom governments will have to force companies into it.

I do not know if standardizing chargers will truly reduce what goes to land fill and costs for the consumer, but I like the idea of buying the charger separately so that I only acquire one if I need it. Hopefully the standard they pick for chargers will be stable for a number of years so that people don't need to replace them all every 2-3 years.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]Politicians run many countries, well those that don't have dick taters (like Iran). This decision, while is seems to have no drawbacks, further solidifies the path the EU is walking down - namely controlling everything businesses do. What if I want to make a high performance video/photo phone with firewire? Well, now I need to include mini USB as well for charging purposes. Its not that big a deal, but where does it end? I just hate watching governments dictating how a product should be made. Look at what they did to MS just as an example. It never ends, and its coming over here too. We're starting to become a Nanny Nation, where the gubment makes all our decisions for us, to "protect" us.[/citation]
I thought it was "for the children", no?

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I would like to see this. I have a Sanyo Katana that I got fall 2006, great phone. The AC charger broke, so i had to look into getting a different one. Sanyo of course used a proprietary plug on their phone. I walk to radio shack where i bought my phone and where the new katana models are sold, and am told that i will need to spend about $45 on a universal charger as that is the only what i will get an AC charger for my phone. I can get a brand new phone (same model) with charger on ebay for the same price....

Our country is not run by politicians, i wish it was. It is run by companies. And guess what, companies aren't always trying to get re-elected, they just care about money - and the way our country manages "monopolies", they always get it.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
The same thing will happen in the US. Do people seriously think they're going to design two different phones for the US/Asia and europe? I don't think so, it'd be a waste of money just to try and make money off of the chargers.

This pretty much standardizes the entire world.

G

[citation][nom]the last resort[/nom]why can't the US be this smart? OH, that's right, politicians run our country.[/citation]
And it's the people choosing these polititians. Granted you have not much choice, between an old veteran who won't change a thing, and a new guy who instead of helping out the economy is creating the biggest economical disaster in US history, but still...

G

[citation][nom]Harby[/nom]You cannot assume that EVERY potential buyer owns a PC. They will still have to ship a charger I'm afraid.[/citation]
That's why you can buy a standard charger in about every store online and cellphone store in your nearest mall!

Status
Not open for further replies.